Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

TAROX 4 or 6 pot GB for 15" wheels - Feeler

Just wondering what people's thoughts on a TAROX group buy would be?. This is aimed at people that don't want to change their wheels, like you have to with the Brembo kit if you've not got 16s/17s already.

These will obviously be a lot stronger than the MK4/MK3 288 setup too.

Only trouble is they cost a fortune :( So any ideas on getting them cheaper would be good!

The kit comes with alloy bells, appropriate sized disc, hoses, brackets, calipers and pads.

The 4 pot kit is around £750 and the 6 pot kit is around £1100 :shock:

I was thinking if the 4 pot kit could be had for around £450 - £500 as a GB, it would be easier to swallow, especially as you don't have to add another £700-£1000+ for new rims and tyres! Disc size is 284x26.

They're also future proof as you can add bigger floating discs and brackets at a later date if you do decide to go with 17s.

Just a thought....... or if anybody else has got some other ideas about getting stonking brakes under 15" wheels a bit cheaper, lets hear em!!

K

Are they any good? Haven't done mega amounts of research yet, just spotted the TAROX sets that are catered for 15" rims. I suppose there is Wilwood too?

Heres the Hi Spec site.

http://www.f-inbigbrakes.co.uk/index.htm

And they list

VW

Corrado

Ø285/24mm Billet 4 Conversion £480.00

So a good bit cheaper than Tarox, they look good too. I reckon even though they will fit behind 15"s theres a good chance spacers could be required as well.

Cheers Joe, that looks just the ticket and a good price too.

A GB on those perhaps?

I'm liking the floating discs too....

Yep the TAROX kit suggests spacers may be required too. Probably will be as the space behind the speedlines is tight with the standard calipers!

now that is a superb domain name... 8) 8) 8)

I thought you were taking the P1$$ until I clicked on it... :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Oh, and the brakes look good too... 8)

A GB on those perhaps?

Though it would be nice ive spent so much on the car recently and theres still other stuff I want to do. Considering ive just done the 288 upgrade brakes are far from top of my list. :(

Tell me about it! Still haven't put the cams in yet either :?

How do you find the 288 setup? That was another route I was considering and it's pretty cheap to do. I don't know about other VR drivers but I find the initial bite is rubbish. If I press the pedal in Steve's G60 with the same force I nearly go through the windscreen. Both are standard setups.

I'm after that same strong initial bite, if possible!

K

Its hard for me to judge tbh, I find the braking, including the initial bite is massively improved and the pedal definately feels more solid with the goodridge hoses. I dont think this is completely due to the upgrade though, if youd seen my old disks and pads you would understand, they was practically no material left on the pads and they were only making contact with about half of the back of the disk.

I know Roddy drove my car before the upgrade and reckoned my brakes felt similar to his though, so there probably is a worthwhile improvement.

For the price the calipers and carriers can be had for though, and if you need disks and pads anyway, its definately the most cost effective upgrade.

Thanks Joe. Just thinking my front end will be stripped tomorrow at Stealth for new bearings, tie rods, rack etc so would be a good time to do the MK3/MK4 288 upgrade...... but I'm also tempted by these Hispecs...... decisions decisions!

Theres always ebay for selling the 288's on if you decide there not enough, and if they are good enough think of the cash saved to go towards a quaife diff. :-P

cash saved to go towards a quaife diff. :-P

Oh no.... don't plant ideas in my head mate! A simple Quaiffe would invaribly turn into a full on Stealth/Gemini 6 speed conversion with 3.6 or 3.94 diff!

did anything get done about a GB??

what are the costs of the MK4 / MK3 setup and what is needed?

new front discs

new front calipers

some kind of bracket for the new calipers?

new pads??

can the rear be upgraded?

i was doing a search for wilwood but came across this..

cheers

A GB on those perhaps?

I'm liking the floating discs too....

Yep the TAROX kit suggests spacers may be required too. Probably will be as the space behind the speedlines is tight with the standard calipers!

I'm interested Hi-Spec, depends on how soon the GB would be. Bit skint at the minute but was looking to get some before christmas. There the best looking brakes i've seen.

Slight warning - I know someone who warped his Tarox discs after two trackdays... and they said his warranty states that they're not covered for track use ("Fast Road and Track" is just a title apparently!)

How spooky - I've been looking into this again today, which was the primary reason for buying new and bigger wheels.

Hispec - http://www.f-inbigbrakes.co.uk offer a 310x28mm Hispec kit for Corrados from £480 for the Billet 4 or £675 for the next set up, which has bigger pads and better calipers, both 4 pot. Kit includes brackets, bolts, alloy bells, discs, pads and braided lines.

Brembo - http://www.badger5.demon.co.uk - They now offer a 323x28 kit based on the new VAG brembo setup (5 x 100) but apparently the calipers now say SEAT on them instead of Brembo, but they are Brembos. £675 price, full kit.

TSR are also do the same and at the same price.

AP Racing is another option, but £1000+

Wilwood are well priced but I don't know what they're like.

There is also the Audi TT 312 setup.

Personally, I want light weight, so it's going to have to be alloy calipers and floating discs.

I was thinking of perhaps seeing about a Group buy on the Hispec £675 kit? I think Badger's Brembo kit might not fit under 16s as the discs are huge......but I'll do some digging....

Oh yeah....forgot the thread was for 15s!

15s poses some obvious problems. I think the best thing would be to get a 4 pot kit with 280 discs but you may need spacers for the Solitudes/Speedlines to clear the calipers, which will much up the offset a bit.

The other alternative is to pilfer a MK3/MK3 288 setup from a scrappy, which is better than the 280 setup. Quite cheap to implement too.

Kits are complete & include calipers & caliper carriers, discs, pads, braided hoses & mounting bolts.

Applications Available

Golf Mk2/3 8 & 16v, 4 stud - 305mm discs. £518 + VAT

Golf Mk2/3 8 & 16v, 5 stud - 312mm discs, £618 + VAT

Golf4, Bora, A3, Octavia - 320mm discs, £668 + VAT

Passat, A4, Superb - 312mm discs, £668 + VAT

Audi S2, 312mm discs, £768 + VAT

taken from the TSR website

OWWWW!!!! 305mm 4 studs for 518+VAT?!? you can get the Brembo 4 pot kit for under £450 INC VAT which is the same size.... :|