fla

Tapping after oil change

Just changed the oil and filter but added about 3 litres of 10w60 fully synthetic to quieten down some top end noise. Its in fact done the opposite. Its sounds very tappy now.

I'll be bleeding the top tensioner bolt but otherwise any suggestions? Oil is getting to the top quite nicely.

Failing that I'll drain and refill with just synta silver

well after removing the rocker cover, plugs and everything else, everything was just fine, and it turned out to be the tensioner bolt had lost its priming. Cranking the engine it was easy to see the chain dipping at the top making a 'tap' which went after about 30-40 seconds as the bolt primed up. Incidentally i needed to bleed the bolt twice, not sure why but that solved the issue. In the process of putting it all back now.

I've never really understood the bleeding of that bolt, is it the same with the later type of bolt and tensioner?

I stuck mine in back in sept/october time but not started engine since, so wonder if i need to remove the bolt to do anything before i start engine up.

Jim - if i were you, i'd bleed it by pulling the piston out completely, half filling it with oil and then refit the piston. Using a thin wire you would push the piston all the way down and then reinstall in the engine. Take out the plugs and 167 relay, crank the engine for around 45 seconds until it run smoothly. You can see it from inside the car and you'll know when its primed. Theoretically it is a closed oil circuit so shouldn't lose its priming once done. Not sure why mine did, tbh, maybe there's a checkvalve in teh block that was passing

I've never really understood the bleeding of that bolt, is it the same with the later type of bolt and tensioner?

I stuck mine in back in sept/october time but not started engine since, so wonder if i need to remove the bolt to do anything before i start engine up.

The later bolt has a spring too so has some tenison straight away then builds when oil filled