Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Who's got a car port?

I'm going to be building one of these soon. just looking for a few picsof existing ones for construction method ideas.

I'm going to use a 100x100 box section post at either end, with 100x50 box section posts in between and 6' wooden fence panels. the roof structure will be wood with that hollow section plastic panellig on the top.

Any builders out ther care to comment? and where do I stand with building regs/planning permission etc? I don't believe I need any for a car port?

If your house is overlooked by other houses running parallel to it, you'll probably need planning permission, but check with the local planning office first anyway.

Don't know anything about the construction of them though but just make sure you secure the roof down with tonnes of whatever is used to stop it blowing away in the wind!

Hey Paul,

You'd be suprised! We need planning permission to pull down our old garage and replace it with a nice new one!

You can put in a planning inquiry with the local council, it costs nowt, and will let you know for sure!

Have you asked Mike, cos didn't he help Martin plan his???

BTW Karting sounds fun, but not if it's only us 2!!!

Steve

no houses overlooking mine. only one, but it's the side of thier house with only one window.

neighbours car f*ck off. the reason I'm building it is to keep her prying eyes off what I'm doing, she's a right moaning cow, always moaning about the cars. might get some peace as well as shelter with a car port. the fence will be going right between our driveways, just higher than the one that's there now.

My builder mate lee reckons I don't need permission. Haven't spoken to mike yet, Lee's sort of taken over the project himself already! Imagine what it'd be like having 2 site managers and a draughy all working on the same job........

scrapped the karting plans, no one would commit to it as per usual.

Dunt cost nowt to check though! Saves some T**t from the planning department coming round and telling you that you need to pull it down, If your neighbour is such a cow, then she could complain.............

Poo about karting :(

You probably won't need permission in that case, but get something in writing from the council first, just to prevent the cow next door getting torn down if anything. Not that you'd let that happen anyway :wink:

She won't dare complain, she's sh1t scared of my missus now because she kicked off at her the other week for being a moaning old bag.

it's a shared fence anyway, and I'd be paying for it all and doing the work so what have they got to complain about?