owen g60

G60 oil system help

Hi guys

I've been away from the forum for a couple of years now .

I have just gone through the process of transplanting a forged Rallye 1H engine and big valve head and lysholm charger into my G60.

Most of the running in has now been done, however I am getting some strange things happen with my oil alarms.

I am getting both low and high pressure alarms. Low pressure at low revs and idle. High pressure when the engine is running down from high revs and continues below the 2500 rpm threshold for the sensor.

This only happens when the engine is above 88 degrees oil temp.

Help greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you have the high and low oil pressure sensors cross connected.

Or do you have an oil pressure gauge and sender fitted?

If its the wrong type, you don't want the one that ends with a 'A' part number, it will give a high oil pressure signal and it should be fitted to the low oil pressure point on the block.

The sensors are the correct way round and came off my old engine.

No pressure gauge fitted at present I will be fitting it by the weekend to confirm what is going on.

What colour are the sensors, and what colour are the wires going to them?

I had a similar issue, but this was when I was fitting an oil pressure gauge in.

The one on the oil filter housing should have a yellow wire going to it, this is the high pressure sender and is used for the oil pressure buzzer and led. It should be normally open and will make contact when the correct pressure as reached and keep the buzzer and led from coming on. This is the dynamic oil pressure circuit which works when the revs go over 2500 rpm.

The one the engine block is for the low pressure, and should have blue wire going to it. This for the low oil pressure circuit that will flash the LED light. This sender should be normally closed, and will break contact when the correct pressure has reached. Switch the LED off.

Edited due to have colour and sender states wrong way round.

Edited by sankysvr6

I have the blue sender in the head with the blue wire going to it.

There is a white sender in the filter housing with a yellow wire.

This is exactly how my previous g60 (pg) engine was set up.

I will be making a test light to confirm the correct operation of the 2 switches.

As stated the issues only occur as the engine reaches and passes operating temp.

So there is no issues when the engine is cold, and you rev above 2500?

Might be a real issue with engine, or the wrong grade of oil.

When the engine is cold I get none of the above issues.

I have semi synthetic 10w40 in there at present with the shorter polo g40 filter to clear the crossmember due to a mocal cooler.

The exact same set up I had previously.

Probably best to check the pressure with a gauge to see what's actually going on.

Also checking the senders to see what state they are in, especially when the fault occurs.

2 new sensors installed plus a separate pressure gauge.

Separate gauge values change for a few minutes then stays at 7 bar.

Still getting both warnings.

Looks like I'm going to have to flush the engine and check the pump for blockages

Did you check the contact was open on oil pressure sender on the oil filter, when the engine was off, and then made contact when it was running.

My gauge reads 5bar when its first stared, then goes to 1bar when it's normal operating temperature

Edited by sankysvr6

Both sensors read low pressure

One is low pressure below 2K(ish) RPM and is the lower reading of the 2 fitted as marked on the flats of the hexagon

The other is low pressure above 2K(ish) RPM

Does the charger have an oil feed? Is too much oil going to the charger hence the oil buzzer?

Went to remove the pump to check for blockages.

Noticed a bit of play in one of the rods... Turns out sone of the bearing shells had turned 90 degrees!!!

This is due to the bottom end rebuild not being done correctly. There was no torque on the connecting rod bolts!!!

New bearing shells and bolts fitted along with the pump.

I suspect this would be enough to send the sensors mental as the crank can't pass oil causing low pressure where the sensors need it.

New filter fitted too as it was full of metal from the bearing shells.

Going to run it in and see how things go

Does the charger have an oil feed? Is too much oil going to the charger hence the oil buzzer?

It's a lysholm charger so no oil feed to it from the engine