skid

Advice on new vr6 radiator and air con rad plz.

Just found a leak on my 95 vr6 coolant radiator, so obviously I need to replace it but which one should I buy?

The car has Air con too,but the air con rad/condenser is also needing replaced too but I can't find one.

Any ideas and pointers greatly appreciated.

Edited by skid

the aircon rad is probably falling apart now, the corrugations will likely be dropping out. Being at the front it takes most of the pounding. I have bought a new rad for a Polo and will be getting some hoses and connections made up from Pirtek. Its smaller and probably more efficient than the old one.

I think there are some good radiators available, ideally denso marston (sp) who made the original one, but i believe there are some good alternatives too.

So whats the main difference between the coolant radiators? Do the cars with Air con have a different size Radiator?

Also are the air con radiator/condenser available off the shelf or do they have to be made up, or get the existing one repaired?

Edited by skid

I bought a new Hella one for my VR - good quality and no issues with it. Valeo are a good brand too. The aircon cars have a different radiator thought as far as I know - maybe someone can confirm - I don't have the family album with me at the moment in work.

no the radiators are the same in aircon and non-aircon. The aircon condenser is mounted via a frame on top of the radiator.

In that case I'd recommend the Hella one - got mine here - http://www.adrad.co.uk - part reference VW328 - shipped to Ireland for £115. Dealt with a guy called Kevin. You'll also need to replace the radiator neck and seal as a precaution if not done recently and if I were you I'd check out the radiator temperature sender as well.

Fender vag, thanks for that.

was yours a direct replacement? As I read so much about radiators from places like GSF Eurocarparts etc needing mods or brackets made up!

Because vw can supply an orginal one and no one can source a condenser rad for my air con I am thinking about putting both in to a local company who will repair them.

Had a look yesterday and only looks like it's only a pin hole on the top of the rad.might even try and repair that myself with some resin, but will see how the Core is once in there

It was a direct fit on my 93 VR6 - as far as I know they are all the same. To be honest, if it's a 20+ year old radiator in the car I would just replace it and the plastic radiator neck to be sure, it's not especially expensive compared to the cost of other parts on the Corrado. The VW one would still be made by Hella, Behr or Valeo, just stamped with a VAG part number and maybe an extra quality check.

The Hella radiator is good quality. I would advise against trying to repair your old radiator, having taken the trouble to get it off the car it would make sense to replace it for the sake of £100 or so. The a/c radiator is held onto it by some substantial steel brackets. Your problem will be to get the a/c hose connections undone without twisting the unions off of the radiator, and as Hasan has said it will almost certainly disintegrate when you move it.

best wishes

RB

The part number matches the part number on my air con condenser, if you remover your grill the part number should be written on the left hand side of the condenser, I recentely replaced my coolant rad and was debating wether to replace the air con condenser too but decided not too, but wish I did now as it was falling apart when I took it out!

These boys have done a few corrados in the past. Installed a/c in my VR6 last year real sympathetic job alpinair.co.uk They made up the parts to fit the Corrado etc.