BarberG60

VR6 High idle and blanked off breather pipe

Despite my username, I now have a VR6

Couple of issues, firstly, I have noticed a breather pipe coming from the back of the inlet manifold by the throttle body. It has ben blanked off with a bolt. What is it for, and where should it go? When I removed the bolt, the engine revs drops and the splutters then dies

IMAG0941_zpsysp8buti.jpg

Secondly, and quite possibly related, when you start the car from cold, like most vr's, the revs are a little high. After driving for a few minutes, the idle stays high and idles at around 1200/1300 rpm. This does not change unless I switch the car off and start it up again, then it sometimes idles at the correct speed, or it will idle high again.

Sometimes, when in traffic, the car is quite jerky to take off, almost as if the throttle has a huge delay and then off you go. It pulls cleanly when driving along. Both the above issues are worse when the car is hot.

I was thinking about getting another genuine CTS and trying that. I canot find any air leaks anywhere

Thanks in advance

Edited by BarberG60

It connects to the pcv valve via t as seen on my pic and then continues on to the carbon canister located under the airbox. I see your pcv has been removed.

DSC_0398_zpsqdj96l2r.jpg

I'm removing mine the moment. I was going to connect that inlet pipe to the blue valve mounted on the suspension arch turret.

Is your carbon cannister etc all still there?

It's a common enough deletion if done properly from what I've read- but maybe others here can comment, some may even have it done on their cars. Mine is still original. The PCV/activated charcoal/carbon cannister system all seems to be emissions related. You may have a vacuum leak causing erratic idle. It's easy enough to test with a pressure gauge.

I have a similar problem that I have not been able to figure out. I have an obd2 vr from a '97 Jetta with A/C delete. When I start the car cold first thing in the morning, I get a bit of a high idle. It stabilizes after warm up; driving half a block or letting idle for a couple minutes until it drops on its own. Then once the engine reaches temperature, the idle will increase to 950rpms from 680rpms. It stays at 980rpms until you restart the engine then drops to 680rpms again. The rpm increase seems to happen when the fans kick in. I've changed the FCM, O2 sensor, MAF, plugs, plug wires and temps sensors. My second speed radiator fans was not working so I did a bypass harness. Also, my 4th speed cabin air fan does not work. It also has an unknown but new throttle body that seems to sync fine according to VAGCOM. The engine performs great otherwise and has passed BC's aircare in early 2014. I suspect the following:

1) something to do with A/C components being removed

2) unknown throttle body, probably Chinese made

3) something emissions that opens up a vacuum leak when the car is warm

Let me know your thoughts.