Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

MOT - low effort handbrake

My C passed its MOT yesterday 8) but only just!

They say the handbrake is low effort, only just scraped throught the test at 16%

Guess its gonna be the rear calipers? the handbrake mech seems fine itself and doesnt come up too high or anything.

The arm on the both calipers thats operated by the cable seems to move ok, could it be this thats just partially seized or tight? It's a March '92 built G60 so does it have mk2 calipers or late mk3 items?

I've had a look at other threads regarding this, but whats the best way to fix them, should I take the calipers off and strip them down, or would a squirt of oil do the trick?

I don't want to fork out for new rear calipers, just yet. The rear brakes themselves work fine, no sticking or seizure or anything.

I've got a rear wheel bearing starting to go aswell, noisy drilled discs and unknown pads, so should I just go for it and change the bearings, disks, pads and repair the calipers off the car?

I'm sure that if I leave it , they will fail next MOT!

Cheers.

You might just need a replacement cable!

The handbrake is completely rubbish though, it's true they don't produce much braking force, no matter how hard you apply it.

The only thing I can't answer is how much it *should* produce on an average, fully functional Corrado.

Stick some MK4 calipers on the back when you can afford it, and some Pagid pads. The rear brakes will be effective again then.

K

yeah, :D

i ve got this set-up with some new handbrake cables and it really is good, pull the handbrake gently couple of clicks and it just holds surprised me how little effort it needs now