Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

dinkus' Aqua Blue VR6

So this is my C that I picked up today, so excuse the filthyness. It's getting a full on clean tomorrow and resulting pics will be posted.

93 VR6

78k miles

Aqua Blue Pearl

Entirely standard spec

Black Recaro's

Headlight washers!?

Original ICE

Original first aid kit!

Original spare

So umm pretty standard really. After a damn good clean it needs a new grille badge (the old snapped one is in the glove box), some new disks and pads and fairly soon new boots on the rear.

Welcome to the wonderful world of VR6 ownership! :) Really like Aqua Blue, and I notice you also have air con too, as well as recaros - nice 8)

No air con... the guy before me seemed to think it had air con, but I thought the switches were down by the cigarette ligther. There's certainly no compressor/rad under the bonnet (well that I can see). I'm presuming they are the buttons for the heated Recaro's, but not tried them to find out yet as a roasting arse in this weather isn't nice!

Edit: I could of course be completely wrong, so if anyone can suggest otherwise/what I should be looking for then please let me know cos air con would be fantastic! :D

I think there were 2 types of buttons for the air con. Some Corrados had 2 small buttons by the cigarette lighter, I think it depended on who manufactured/fitted it as A/C was not a factory option on RHD cars. The 'norm' and 'max' buttons by your head unit look like A/C switches, perhaps they were put there to just fill up the blanks as normally the heated front seat switches are there. I don't *think* cloth recaros came with the option of seat heating, only the standard leather and recaro leather did. :wink:

I thought it seemed odd to have 2 settings for heated seats, but at the same time there seemed no other indication of there being air con in the car. The rest of the car is completely orignal, so I don't see the switches being there just for the sake of it.

What else can I look for to find out if it has air con? I'll have a go at jabbing the button and seeing if I get cold air out, but it's unlikely it'll work because the previous owner said he hadn't used it at all in the 2yrs he had it.

As far as toasty bum goes, I thought that all the Recaro's were heated? But I have no idea where the switch for it is if they are heated.

Nice looking car :)

The 'Norm' and 'Max' buttons are aircon switches - seems odd that they would be there with no aircon. Maybe it was all ripped out.

I didn't think the cloth recaro's were heated either.

Dinkus very nice looking car. If it does have aircon then there will also be two thick hoses leading into the engine bay from the bulkhead on the right hand side all the way round between the rad and engine to the aircon compressor, which is located between the alternator and pas pump.

apart from not having leather......that's a fair better spec than a storm :cry: :D :D :D .............looks a good'un matey :wink: 8)

So after today's close under-bonnet inspection, located the air con compressor and also managed to get myself a nice icy blast in the cabin, so it has got air con AND it works! Yay. Thanks for the pointers guys. lol.

It is very nicely specced, but it's still bloody filthy. I wiped down the dash today so that looks nice and clean and I vacuumed all the loose crap out of the carpets and seats, but both need a proper clean. Can anybody recommend what to do? Are there any good cleaner in a can type things? Or should I get my local valet dude to shampoo the lot for me?

Oh and it's much nicer than leather... even with air con your back sweats something rotten and you still slither all over the place when you're giving it some welly. Cloth all the way :D ;) ok ok maybe Alcantra :D

A bit of autoglym interior shampoo would probably do it the world of good.. its very nifty stuff and gets grime out a treat! Works on cloth, carpets, interior plastic, just about anything. I used it on my headlining and it bought it up a treat.

Fantastic car mate! :D

Really good looking!

It is funny how the seller sold the car to you saying that it has no air conditioner!

2 years without using it! :lol:

Take good care of that car! :)

I´ll do the same here to mantain the Corrado legend alive! :lol:

Well... C´s are very rare in this country... :roll:

Well he *thought* it was air con, but he wasn't sure. He didn't know a whole lot about it in fairness, but apart from the lack of cleaning it seems to be reallly nice.

Thanks jimsG60, sounds like I'm going to have fun day with that tomorrow :D Good point.. the headlining has grubby finger prints all over it too :roll:

Thanks kongo127, it's going to be very well looked after :) No cold thrashings for me.

And rodney, we need to organise a meet up sometime. Already got someone else from Cambridge interested in a mini-meet. There's another blue VR around my town that I keep seeing, so I need to find out where and who they are!

Heh heh you're following me aren't you? :D

I'm cleaning her bit by bit, so hopefully by next weekend she'll be nice and clean :)

Oop, rodney just realised you're the person who PM'd me about the Camb mini-meet. :lol:

Interesting development... seems that the original head unit has been kept and replaced as I have a Kenwood head unit manual in with my service history :) Makes me feel better about taking it out and putting a decent one in.

I'm a little worried at how tremendously crap the head unit sounds... sounds like only the dash tweeters are working, but there is definitely sound coming from the door speakers too. Hmm, put the new head unit in and see what it sounds like methinks. (And yes I'll be careful not to toast the speed sensor!)

As far as cleaning the interior goes, personally I'd take the front seats out. 5 minute job to get them out and in again and makes cleaning the inside a lot easier.

As far as cleaning the interior goes, personally I'd take the front seats out. 5 minute job to get them out and in again and makes cleaning the inside a lot easier.

So after spending 4hrs cleaning her, NOW you tell me this :D :lol:

The seats need a shampoo anyway, so I might as well take em out, then I can get a good go at vacuuming the carpet and it's a lot easier to clean the seats too.

In fairness today's efforts were on the paint and wheels. The only problem is you can now see how bad the scrapes are, and made even worse by the wax in them :(

Hmm managed to take pictures of the scrapes, but forgot to take ones of the whole car to show how clean it is :roll: oh well it's in the garage now and I'm too knackered to go move it back out and take pics.

the screwdriver is the black end of the wheel nut remover... ;) pull it out and you'll see what I mean! ;)

The discoloured parts on you paint look like someone's left bird cr@p on the paint for too long and it's eaten into the laquer... it'll probably poilsh out after a while... use something like a clay bar to try and get some oils back into the laquer. 8)

The fuel cap sticker is standard fit... tells you (in english!) to use "premium unleaded only" ie good quality unleaded or Super unleaded.

If they're all the scrapes that the paintwork has, you've got a very nice C there... 8)

the screwdriver is the black end of the wheel nut remover... ;) pull it out and you'll see what I mean! ;)

Ahh very clever, them sneaky Germans :D

The discoloured parts on you paint look like someone's left bird cr@p on the paint for too long and it's eaten into the laquer... it'll probably poilsh out after a while... use something like a clay bar to try and get some oils back into the laquer. 8)

Cool, a clay job and depending on money, Swissol is on the books so hopefully that'll be sorted out.

The fuel cap sticker is standard fit... tells you (in english!) to use "premium unleaded only" ie good quality unleaded or Super unleaded.

I thought they probably would be, just not seen anyone mention it in the many petrol discussions. :lol: should be a useful pic for illustration in the future :D

If they're all the scrapes that the paintwork has, you've got a very nice C there... 8)

Yeah they are pretty much, there are a few more tiny dings, but they're only noticable if you really look hard, so I'm pretty chuffed on the whole :D

I'm a little worried at how tremendously crap the head unit sounds... sounds like only the dash tweeters are working, but there is definitely sound coming from the door speakers too. Hmm, put the new head unit in and see what it sounds like methinks. (And yes I'll be careful not to toast the speed sensor!)

I had (well, still HAVE actually) one of those head units. Mine didn't sound too bad but it wasn't brilliant - and there wasn't much 'oomph' in it :)

What's the problem with the sound - just not enough bass?

OK, time to ask the stupid question - but you have been through the audio menus after pressing the 'select' button and making sure the bass isn't turned all the way down haven't you? That 3-way 'bass boost' dial on the lower right does make a difference, but you need the bass turned up as well :)

HTH

I had (well, still HAVE actually) one of those head units. Mine didn't sound too bad but it wasn't brilliant - and there wasn't much 'oomph' in it :)

What's the problem with the sound - just not enough bass?

OK, time to ask the stupid question - but you have been through the audio menus after pressing the 'select' button and making sure the bass isn't turned all the way down haven't you? That 3-way 'bass boost' dial on the lower right does make a difference, but you need the bass turned up as well :)

To be honest, I've only turned it on once and as I'm not keeping it in there it doesn't bother me too much at the moment. I'll get a decent head unit and plop it in then go from there.

In the mean time I can cope with listening to the VR and I need the money to make sure it's all running nicely.

And now for something a little cleaner. The interior is much cleaner too, but I'm not taking pics of that til I've cleaned the seats properly.