Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

VR6 temp sensors - a few questions...

Hi guys, I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my electrical / cooling problems & I'm a bit confused about the 3 temp sensors in the thermostat housing. The Russek manual only shows 2 (plus a blank plug), & refers to them as 'temp sender (run-on)' - the yellow 4 pin jobbie, & 'temp sender (coolant) - the black 2 pin one. The Porter manual has all three (including the middle blue one), but says that the yellow one controls the run-on water pump, the fan run-on & the temp gauge! I believe it refers to the black one as a 'fan thermo switch'.

Can anyone give me a definitive description of what each one does? Also what symptoms to expect if each of the three were faulty. (would any show up on VAG-COM?)

Thanks in advance,

Robbo

right starting from the yellow one temerature sender with switch foor coolant temererature gauge and/or additional water pump...then temp sensor ntc engine control..and the 3rd one thermo switch for switching off air con or electric fan

OK... I think I'm gradually narrowing things down. I replaced the belt tensioner this weekend as I was getting a squealing noise from this area on cold startups, but it's still doing it. I'm now thinking it's the water pump that's shafted. So here's my theory, let me know if you guys think this sounds feasible:

The water pumps gone kaput, resulting in overheating and wrecking 1 or more of the temp sensors... possible?

Cheers,

Robbo

OK... I think I'm gradually narrowing things down. I replaced the belt tensioner this weekend as I was getting a squealing noise from this area on cold startups, but it's still doing it. I'm now thinking it's the water pump that's shafted. So here's my theory, let me know if you guys think this sounds feasible:

The water pumps gone kaput, resulting in overheating and wrecking 1 or more of the temp sensors... possible?

Cheers,

Robbo

dunno tbh..........but mine went when there was work done in the same area (thermostat housing replaced) as the temp sensors....... i think the intense heat generated in the surrounding area doesnt help either