Sign in to follow this  
spoier

Having so many sticky topics kills discussion in this forum

Well we are always looking for constructive criticism, i'd prefer to take suggestions from members who have posted more than 3 times in the last 6 months.

People complaining about sticky threads have not exactly been numerous. If anyone else shares spoiers opinion please step forward so we can do something..

So what happens when Jim, the mild mannered G60 owner, gets angry? I'll bet we wouldn't like him when he's angry... ;)

:snipersmile: :2gunfire: :bad-words:

:)

On a more general note, it's true that forums can get cluttered with sticky topics, but the most useful way of accessing the forum is the "view messages since last visit" search link, so I very rarely look at individual forums.

IMHO......

well everyone is entitiled to their opinion............however if you're meaning in this section ie "servicing & suppliers"............please bear in mind that 5 of the stickies refer to various locations for servicing in the UK.......and rather than just post up 1 sticky it makes it easier to post the different geographical locations.....in the UK admitedly.........for ease of use......but i can't see how its killing conversation discussion on here in fact i've noticed the forum has never been so busy as of late :wink:

i just veiw all messages since last visit, nice and simple and you dont mis anything usualy

Ditto.

When Iwant to do something to the car, I use the search button first. Still managed 600 odd posts.

But please don't get me going as I have had the worst morning of my life today and feel ready to rip someones head off.

Nothing too bad I hope - just the usual Monday morning crap? :(

getting back to the original post - imho the forum acts as a v good info resource - the stickies save the frequent repetition commonly found elsewhere on other forums...

and yeah the Recent Topics section on the home page is all you need... Note: this would be useful on the forum home page too (ie where you're redirected to after you login...) :idea:

It's all about the portal really. I find the recent topics on the left are very handy, but then i've got nothing better to do (work!?) than to read the forum most of the day. Failing that you can't go wrong with the "Posts since you last visited" on the right hand side. I think the way the forum is laid out already is perfect - can't see anything wrong what-so-ever with stickied topics either. My 0.02p's worth.

(gasp, and on topic - wtf is going on with me today?!)

:D

I'm with _leon_ on this one.

The forum is multi purpose - it's not just a discussion forum. It's a source of technical information and advice. Any threads made "sticky" are done so for a reason.

spoier, which specific "sticky" threads do you object to ??

getting back to the original post - imho the forum acts as a v good info resource - the stickies save the frequent repetition commonly found elsewhere on other forums...

and yeah the Recent Topics section on the home page is all you need... Note: this would be useful on the forum home page too (ie where you're redirected to after you login...) :idea:

Agreed, stickies are there for good reason, I don't see how they get in the way of any discussion myself. Just look at the 'posts since last visit', easy! But hey, it's an opinion, and we're all entilted to that!

TBH the ease of use was a common factor for myself when i first started using the forum and the layout influences this..... Fair enuff u might have a prob with stickies but im sure its easily ignored and overlooked i mean if they help other members get more out of the forum more easily, it must be a good thing. Some things should be overlooked and ignored because they are more beneficial for the forum community has a whole and not for individuals...Not being too educated with forums but i suppose the way they run is by discussions and u can always start your own, using bits from sticky posts etc..............

just my 2p's worth