kevinbowe2000

Headlights low beams not working correctly

Got into the car the other day to find my headlights aren't working properly. I was 25 min drive from home and it was 8pm (pitch black). Was not a good drive home. I put in an uprated loom along time ago and also good halford bulbs as recommended on here some place.

Everything works fine with high beam (all the light bulbs). All lights on and blinding everyone.

With low beams, only the passenger low beam turns on and rather faint (the bulb that is closest to the passenger wing. Guess its dim because I never disabled dim dip).

I changed my headlight switch for a known good one, still same issue. Checked all fuses. All seem fine.

Anyone have any pointers on what to check?

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Hi Kev

I would say it is an issue with a failed relay on the uprated loom

do you have a 2 or 3 relay uprated loom?

sounds like a 3 relay one to me as with the 2 relay version would leave you with zero low beam

this is due to the 3 relay version having one relay for each side of low beam & then 1 for high beam on both sides - rather than the 2 relay only having 1 relay for both headlights low beam

the relays are only a few £'s from a motor factors - easiest is to drive the car there & take a relay out for them to match

I know the above because I have had it happen to me. I changed all 3 relays as I wasn't sure which was which & couldn't be bothered to swap them around a few times

hope that helps

Thanks goldfinger for getting back to me so quickly.

The loom I bought is this one:

http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/corrado/25-uk-spec-corrado-uprated-headlight-loom-.html

Looks like 2 relays to me and two fuses in the loom. What do you think?

Guess its not the fuses in the loom as high beam works. But might change them anyway as cost nothing.

Would you think it is still the relay if it was the 2 relay version?

Thanks goldfinger for getting back to me so quickly.

The loom I bought is this one:

http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/corrado/25-uk-spec-corrado-uprated-headlight-loom-.html

Looks like 2 relays to me and two fuses in the loom. What do you think?

Guess its not the fuses in the loom as high beam works. But might change them anyway as cost nothing.

Would you think it is still the relay if it was the 2 relay version?

no problem - sorry it has taken a while to see the above

ok then, yes the ryan versions are indeed 2 relay.

I have never seen one but maybe this would explain the 'rather faint' passenger light output but zero drivers side output - as perhaps the current can flow through but is reduced (im guessing at the last bit lol)

easy way to tell if it is the loom Kev - your ryan one should have OEM plugs so a quick disconnect & then reconnect the factory ones to reinstate the factory loom & then test the lights

my bet is they will work, so, that done I would check the 2 fuses in the uprated loom first (though if either of those blew I would expect you to have no output in some form as the current would not be able to get past said fuse) & then change the 2 relays

you should be able to figure out which relay does high beam & which does normal but I would recommend changing them both & then testing. that way you can have a spare working relay to keep in the glove box in case it happens again - which is what I do in case it happens at night as even just one normal beam light is insufficient

I have seen quite afew posts about ryan looms failing & they are always down to the relays

EDIT: I should probably mention that I don't have a ryan loom, I have one made by the users KUR2Y on here :)

The instructions for the Rayne loom say to remove the dim dip resistor - did you do that, as you mentioned in your first post that you didn't disable the dim-dip resistor? There is often a problem with the aftermarket looms with the contacts on the relays getting corrosion and not working. I ended up putting mine in a plastic bag and tucking them up near where the dim dip was. Even with that I needed the change the relays after a couple of years due to corrosion. With relays though it'll be 'work' or 'not work', not 'dim'.

The instructions for the Rayne loom say to remove the dim dip resistor - did you do that

interesting - I didn't know they needed that

I didn't have to do it with the loom I have, I wonder why

Long story short, I found a broken connection to the drivers side headlight which was causing the issue of the passenger working, but it not.

I am wondering if anyone might be able to do me a big favor and take a photo of their lights when in parking, low beam and high beam.

I now have a feeling that only my parking lights are working and not low beams.

I tested with the uprated loom v the original loom and both seem to have the same issue. Also the lighting level didn't seem to change. It is all very strange.

I am wondering if I have an issue with the headlight switch cabling.

Anyone know what wires in the headlight switch should have voltage when the headlights are in low beam?

JMC - I believe I have disconnected the dim dip. The two yellow wires coming out of the coil to the back of the passenger headlight? Is that correct?

Many thanks guys for helping me out. Most appreciated. Especially for lighting issues when winter is coming.

Long story short, I found a broken connection to the drivers side headlight which was causing the issue of the passenger working, but it not.

I am wondering if anyone might be able to do me a big favor and take a photo of their lights when in parking, low beam and high beam.

I now have a feeling that only my parking lights are working and not low beams.

I tested with the uprated loom v the original loom and both seem to have the same issue. Also the lighting level didn't seem to change. It is all very strange.

I am wondering if I have an issue with the headlight switch cabling.

Anyone know what wires in the headlight switch should have voltage when the headlights are in low beam?

JMC - I believe I have disconnected the dim dip. The two yellow wires coming out of the coil to the back of the passenger headlight? Is that correct?

Many thanks guys for helping me out. Most appreciated. Especially for lighting issues when winter is coming.

well found Kev

i hope it is helping point you in the right direction

i can try & take some photos but it wouldn't be until this evening, is that ok?

unsure of the switch wiring & my Bentley manual is at home - again i can try checking later to see if it has a diagram in the electrics section at the back (ive had a google & cant readily find an image)

When I uprated the headlights on my mk2 I didn't remove the dim - dip resistor, ignition off I had sidelights or dipped beam as selected, with the ignition on selecting side lights lit up dipped beam (as did selecting dipped beam).

Dim - dip was used to get improved side lights (actually using the dipped beam bulbs) when the ignition was on and sidelights selected to drive with, it enabled dipped beam bulbs at reduced voltage via the resistor (think of it as a half way house setting between side lights and dipped beam using the dipped beam bulbs).

Because you're using the dipped beam feed to trigger the relays in the uprated loom the reduced voltage via the resistor is enough to fire the relay, hence removing the resistor when fitting the uprated loom.

That would be amazing Goldfinger. Wasn't expecting anything quickly. She is my daily but have just been making sure that I dont have to drive anywhere after 6pm. Taxi drivers are loving it :)

tried to google it also, but cant find anything. Had the multimeter on the back of the switch but there is so many wires that I got lost fairly quick. Still a newbie :)

Thanks for the info Dox. I like to understand the reason for things

Also worth checking the stalk on steering wheel, i had some weird lights problems and it turned out to be the stalk.

Sorry mate, it's so long since I did mine, that I really couldn't tell you in detail without seeing the wiring, but yes, that big yellow resistor in the passenger wing is what the instructions are refering to. What I can't remember is whether those wires then need joining together again without the resistor to make it work properly.

That would be amazing Goldfinger. Wasn't expecting anything quickly. She is my daily but have just been making sure that I dont have to drive anywhere after 6pm. Taxi drivers are loving it :)

tried to google it also, but cant find anything. Had the multimeter on the back of the switch but there is so many wires that I got lost fairly quick. Still a newbie :)

Thanks for the info Dox. I like to understand the reason for things

no problem m8, happy to help

i will take the pics once it has got dark & post them tomorrow for you

hopefully the Bentley manual will have the diagram too

Got this picture of mine and Wayne's Corrados. Both on low beam but difference in colour is obvious.

High beam still lights the one lit (just changes filament) and lights up the other bulb in the headlight unit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82534[/ATTACH]

If it helps, these are mine on side, dip and main (with uprated loom). The difference in colour for each side was playing with LED and halogen bulbs.

[ATTACH]82535[/ATTACH][ATTACH]82536[/ATTACH][ATTACH]82537[/ATTACH]

no problem m8, happy to help

i will take the pics once it has got dark & post them tomorrow for you

hopefully the Bentley manual will have the diagram too

sorry Kev i didn't have chance to take the pics for you

however, i had seen the others posted which are good

Also worth checking the stalk on steering wheel, i had some weird lights problems and it turned out to be the stalk.

Hi Jim,

What exactly was wrong with your stalk? Was it an easy fix? Was your weird light issue to do with low beam only?

My high beams are working perfectly.

Semi tempted to do some temp rewiring or remove bulbs and drive around with high beams on until i get to the bottom of this.

Having a 21 yr old daily can be difficult, but definitely worth it :)

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Especially for the pics.

100% sure now that my low beams are not working. High beams and side/parking are working perfectly.

Lovely engine bay Tigerfish. Need to polish my manifold.

Edited by kevinbowe2000

I think the contacts inside the stalk must wear out or get dirty, i just thought i'd try a new one (got a non-genuine £16 one off ebay) and it fixed it.

I can't remember exactly what was wrong but it was something like dipped lights not coming on, but full beam would.

Sounds exactly like my issue. Going to put in new relays and put a new indicator stalk on order.

Most likely by the sounds of things, it'll be the indicator stalk. But no harm changing the relays too.

Thanks again guys. Think this is one of the only forums where you can get amazing help and super quickly.

I'll let you all know how I get on once relays and/or stalk are installed.

Jim - Would you happen to have a link to the stalk you installed? Has it lasted okay or would you recommend a different one?

I had a quick look around for a how to on installing a stalk, but cant find anything.

Is it just as easy as popping off the steering wheel and pulling off the stalk?

Sounds exactly like my issue. Going to put in new relays and put a new indicator stalk on order.

Most likely by the sounds of things, it'll be the indicator stalk. But no harm changing the relays too.

Thanks again guys. Think this is one of the only forums where you can get amazing help and super quickly.

Jim - Would you happen to have a link to the stalk you installed? Has it lasted okay or would you recommend a different one?

I had a quick look around for a how to on installing a stalk, but cant find anything.

glad you are getting lots of help m8, this forum is superb for that

stalk replacement is easy. yup off with the steering wheel & then a screw or 2 & a connector or 2 & hey presto you're done

worth keeping a relay or 2 in your glovebox too

Welcome to pop over and try one here mate, sure I've got a couple spare :)

That would be great. I'll bring more money with me than last time, cause I know I'll end up buying loads of parts from you again :)

You still on the same mobile number? I'll give you text to arrange time that you might be free.

I'm not around this weekend (Rugby World Cup), but I'll give you a text next week to see when you'd have time.

Think this is the one i bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Steering-Column-Indicator-Stalk-Replacement-Switch-Genuine-OE-Quality-/191436507776?fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item2c92814a80:m:mpIVkOzP35gjlzWOCAyaCzw

Works fine, i keep meaning to buy the other side as well because the new stalk feels much nicer and will get the same make again.

You just take steering wheel off, unplug all the plugs to the stalks and then its held on with a couple of longish screws.