vonslack

Wippers packed up!

I have been having a problem with my wiper not switching on. Thought I had fixed it the other week by changing the fuse, taking the relay in and out a few times. They packed up this evening on the way home in the rain and dark. I pulled over and repeated the earlier fix but to no avail and had a wet walk home. Any ideas what else I can try cleaning replacing to get them working?:bonk::scratch:

Check to see if the motor is turning and the wipers are parked, the short linkage wears and drops off the motor, mine did this earlier this year

As the fuse keeps popping it sounds like the motor is having to work too hard to operate the wipers causing the electrical overload and the fuse pop.

Worth looking at links as mentioned by Dox, but it could also be that the motor has just had it.

Thank's Dox, I will check that linkage out this weekend. Got a feeling though it could be electrical gremlins. The rear wiper also would not operate yesterday and on other occasions when this has happened sometimes the heater fan would not run. The battery charging light has been staying on after I start the car, only going out when I hit about 1800 RPM. I replaced the alternator brush/diode pack and battery in march this year due to poor charging low voltage ( the third time I have replaced the diode/brush pack in about 7 years)When I changed the diode/brush pack in March I noticed quite deep groves in the copper bit at the back of the rotor shaft that the brushes rub on inside the alternator. Might be time for a new alternator.:shrug:

Thank's Yanders, fuse I replaced hadn't blown, it was a cheap after market blade fuse that didn't seem to push all the way into the fuse box. Waggling it in the past had got the wippers going. Managed to find an OEM one in my box of things that might come in handy one day. Seemed a better fit so swapped it. :-)

If you pop the gold coloured linkage off the motor you should be able to move the wiper rack with your hands, if its tight its probably the spindles seized. If its tight pop the long silver linkage off and you will be able to see if its O/S or N/S spindle that's seized.

If you run the motor without the rack connected it should be almost silent - mind your fingers messing with the rack

So I brought the car back home yesterday when it wasn't raining briefly! I checked the mechanical parts before I tried the wipers, all ok.I switched the engine on and they worked fine again without me doing anything! I decided to take the relay out and clean all the blade connections on it( I might have been wiggling the wrong relay in the dark the other night Doh!). I have ordered a replacement relay to keep in the car also. Fingers crossed.

And the wipers packed up again! Giggling the relay fuses did nothing. Alternator warning light was coming on till I revved hard. Also the fan would not switch on this time. Lights indicators all worked ok. Think I need to get a volt meter on the alternator when its dry and day time. Also could the fan and wipers both not working be down to a common connection point, like something in the fuse box shared neutral connection?:bonk:

Do the wipers park at the bottom of the screen when they fail or at random?

When the wipers wont sweep put 12V to the motor to prove the motor is OK

Edited by Dox