Sign in to follow this  
vr6storm

Guess the missus's new motah

I hope she's happy with the debt :roll: ..........I wouldn't be, hence why I don't spend money I don't have.

I think this is hilarious reading about Jocks and Yorkshireman arguing about spending money!! :mrgreen:

'You'll no be having a sale then?'

I am afraid as another Yorkshireman I am with Phat, a new car that is going down in value while I am typing. Which will cost about 12 Grand to pay off.

vr6storm, I am sure that Phat never meant any harm, as I don't but... anyone doing the maths would have to question the sensibilities behind buying a new car, after looking at the whole picture.

You could have got a 53 and bought a private plate for less.

Gavin

Like I said no offence meant.

people aren't living in the real financial world these days. so many people buy stuff on finance that they've lost touch with how much things are really costing them and how much they are really worth.

I mean, be honest, if you had 10 large, in cash, would you spunk it all on an ugly rebodied fiesta????

cash is king.

Not everyone has enough money to throw into owning a nice car outright.. I couldn't even afford a Corrado directly and had to get a small loan to buy it...

And I can think of a LOT worse cars than those little SportKa's - similarly specced small VW costs a hell of a lot more than one of those!

Yes a new car is expensive - but you can't beat the peace of mind that a long warranty affords. Not everyone is quite so handy with a toolkit, and it was nice to know that at least when I owned my Saxo, I wasn't going to have to get out of bed on a morning to find yet ANOTHER fault with my 12 year old car.

I don't think it's anybody's business what we do with *our* money. Few people can afford a new car outright and Paul, you say you don't spend money you haven't got, so did you buy your House outright with cash then?

When are we going to stop bitching and just get on with enjoying our cars?

who said there's any debt involved here btw........and no offence taken but there will be a private plate going on..just didn't have enough time to get it transfered off the old Ka onto the new one....for the new one to be reg'd on my missus's b/day which was yesterday....she wanted a NEW one she also wanted the SE version.......the one with delivery miles was jan04 reg'd but was just a std SportKa so no leather or A/C and of course Ford are doing Free Insurance on them too........soin the end the £1k difference was more like £500......

I don't think it's anybody's business what we do with *our* money.

it's not that that bugs me. If you have the money fair enough, spend it at will

it's the "finance dependants" that do my head in.....people who buy things that they'll never ever pay for bcasue they couldn't afford them in the first place.

If you can't afford, go without.

Calm down people, its up to her to spend her money whether she has it in the bank or if she's paying out monthly for it,....................not that id buy a sport ka tho :lol:

I don't think it's anybody's business what we do with *our* money.

it's not that that bugs me. If you have the money fair enough, spend it at will

it's the "finance dependants" that do my head in.....people who buy things that they'll never ever pay for bcasue they couldn't afford them in the first place.

If you can't afford, go without.

Yes but as pointed out people dont always have time / money to 'wait' until they have enough money to buy a decent car and is where finance comes in handy... circumstances are different for everyone. If you have a family with kids and your only car packs up for good you might consider buying something brand new for dependability yes?

Some people buy a brand new car on finance in the know that after 3 yrs they have paid for it outright and therefore have a 3 yr old car that they own.... there is also the security issue that they know how its been treated in the past as they are the sole owner... so no un-certaintany on their part. Non - mechanically minded people prefer newer cars as the presume they will be more reliable and too a point this is likely to be true.

There are various reasons as everyone is different.

I for one prefer to pay for my cars in cash - always have but I would never dismiss finance if I wanted something newer - its no different to taking out a loan to pay for things (although more secure with loan)...

There is also the status :roll: - thats goes with a brand new car....

Must just be my way of thinking then., I can't understand how people think it's acceptable to have thousands of pounds worth of debt for luxuries (i.e. not a house). I can't get my head around it. the way I've been brought up I guess.

I don't have any loans, outstanding finance, HP, and I've paid off 3 credit cards in the last week and thrown 4 of them in the bin.

I'm much happier being debt free (apart from a £69K mortgage of course) than having a shiny new KA ( or car) on the drive.

oh, and last month, I had 5 cars too..........all paid for.

I shall point out again, Lupo, 2.5 year sold 21K, one owner, £2050.......

Must just be my way of thinking then., I can't understand how people think it's acceptable to have thousands of pounds worth of debt for luxuries (i.e. not a house). I can't get my head around it. the way I've been brought up I guess.

I don't have any loans, outstanding finance, HP, and I've paid off 3 credit cards in the last week and thrown 4 of them in the bin.

I'm much happier being debt free (apart from a £69K mortgage of course) than having a shiny new KA ( or car) on the drive.

oh, and last month, I had 5 cars too..........all paid for.

LOL - its like listening to myself here.... small mortgage, no debts (also binned the credit cards except my gold card :wink: ) and cars paid for and I remind my mates of this when they are shoving their 'newer' motors in my face :lol:

Well Roddy.. That'll teach you for showing a few pictures of your missus's new motor...

Alas we don't all have huge paying jobs, yet still have ambitions and goals - if a little finance is the way to obtain those goals then so be it. Its not exactly like I personally have taken out a £120,000 loan to buy a Ferarri or something - its a few grand to put towards an old VW. I don't think heavily financing your life is a wise idea (I know of a family who do EVERYTHING on finance - and are in debt up to their eyeballs) but to pay for a car, or to pay for home appliances you know you will be hanging onto for a few years I don't see the problem.

Now I suppose we best go back on topic. If its any consolation Roddy, I think the car looks excellent.

Ah well forget about it then. Whatever I say will be wrong, so there isn't much point in carrying on.

First of all to actually post something on-topic :roll: ... Car looks nice Roddy, and if it makes her happy then that's all that matters 8)

Secondly, I kind of see both sides of the coin here...

Personally I don't like unnecessary debt ie large credit card balances, catalogue accounts etc.

But, by Phats point of view, I shouldn't now have the Schrick on my car. I couldn't afford it when the gb was on and so I shouldn't have bought it? I put it on a credit card and have since paid it off.

To apply this logic to Jim, why shouldn't he take out a loan to buy a car? He makes the monthly payments and eventually it will be paid off, all things being well, so what's he doing wrong? He can surely 'afford' it :?: :roll:

And my final point, anyone could die at any time. Why not use a bit of someone elses money to make your short time on earth a bit more pleasurable?

very good..............but A) my missus don't like the Lupo...........B)her SportKa has all of 20 miles on it and was reg'd 29/06/04....................C)her SportKa didn't cost her or me anything :wink: .........even have free 1yrs insurance too :wink: and finally D) her SportKa doesn't need any bodywork :roll:

I won't say another word on the subject, as my opinions are obviously not welcome on the matter so I'll leave it at that. nd I apologise for being grouchy in the mornings and haveing a stinking attitude yesterday too.

I hope she enjoys her new car.