WillMK7

Belt snapped!

Evening chaps. I'm in need of some help.... who isn't aha!

So I started the car this evening, and when I revved to pull away it squealed horrendously! It stopped, but the battery light came on. So instantly I guessed the alternator belt. The engine was getting hot, so I had to keep stopping to let it cool down. However, one thing I can't get my head around, the engine kept revving when idling from about 1500 to 2000 constantly! Is this normal given the scenario? I found the belt snapped in the engine bay unfortunately, so I'm hoping nothing has seized! An explanation, or just some comforting words would help at this difficult time.

Cheers in advance chaps,

Will

Well the belt runs the water pump so that'll be why it was getting hot. But for the idling, I'd only guess that without any kind of load on the system to overcome it was just revving free so to speak.

Don't think you'll have done any damage though provided it didn't get too hot.

What model is it?

Changing the belt on a VR are quite easy to do, i would be more concerned on the reason it snapped in the first place.

Maybe a seized pulley or water pump?

It's a 2.0 16v.

I'm also worried about the water pump. Could be an expensive month with Christmas around the corner

Water pumps are relatively inexpensive. Just check it while the belts off along with the condition of the other pulleys and the alternator.

It's the cost of getting it replaced. Not having any where to work on the car. Plus working long hours, I have to take it to the garage

The belt that runs the alternator is easy to do roadside. I personally would recommend you buy a Continental belt having used others (Dayco) that died in weeks.

Water pump is powered by the cam belt from memory so if that has died, worth changing the cam belt/tensioner at the same time.

Another "from experience" scenario is the revving up which was in my case due to a leak on the intake that caused it to hunt. I sprayed round with carb cleaner to try and find it but didn't, then by chance leant against the elbow on top of the metering head and it regained it's smooth idle. I swapped that part out for a spare I had and have enjoyed smooth idle since.

Water pump run off aux belt. Not too many hours labour in having it changed if it's knackered. I could do it myself in an hour on the ground.

Thinking though, why would the alternator belt snap of the water pump has seized surely the aux belt should have broken. Not the alternator belt?

Must brush up on my corrado knowledge

Me too. Remember now the water pump came with cam belt kit, but wasn't driven by it. You may as well change both belts as I'm sure the power steering belt need removing to allow fitment of the alternator belt.