Sign in to follow this  
polog40racer

Handbrake Woes - Urgent - MOT due!

Got a problem with the handbrake side of things on my Corrado G60 for the rear brakes, while doing the pre-MOT check (MOT is this saturday).

This was done with ignition off...

With handbrake fully on, drivers side rear wheel does not move. BUT Passenger side rear wheel does rotate (albeit not freely). Checked the handbrake adjustment on the handbrake lever itself and the passenger side handbrake cable bolt was at it max adjustment (i.e. as much as it can be adjusted taughter), while the drivers side bolt adjuster was in mid position and plenty of thread and works fine.

Thought this was a stretched cable on the passenger side but after changing the cable - its still the same. Wheel turns and bolt as far as it can be adjusted for pass side.

So thinking it is the caliper cylinder seal (doesn't look as though it is leaking, or could be clylinder seized maybe) and may try and replace it.

Haven't checked if the wheel still turns with footbrake applied yet and ignition on for the servo to operate. Do you need just ignition on or actually the engine started for that? I cant remember. Not with the car at the moment so cant try it now, but it'll be tried later.

What do you guys think?????

Also, all the rear brakes are the same throughout the corrado range and late golf mk2/mk3/passat range aren't they? 229mm?

Thank you please.

Paul Cauldwell

Rear callipers on the Corrado are known for being terrible, and developing a fault which makes them just not work very well.. I don't know the technical explanation (I could try but I always screw up and end up looking like an idiot by giving out the wrong information).

But i'm sure its the MK3 Golf rear calipers that are a direct swap but an improved design.. if you can pick up a pair of those you should be laughing.

Cheers Jim,

Is that any GTi version of MK3 golf or just the 16v/VR6 versions?

Think im going for the seal first as ive overhauled calipers before so know what to do and also what a pain in the arse it is anyway

Paul

The calipers on the rear of a Corrado are Golf MKII GTI ones and are a bag of sh!te... :? They have a huge design flaw in that the outer seal is exposed and gets clogged up with brakedust which eventually causes it to seize up... :roll:

MKIII calipers are basically the same, only they are alloy and, IIRC, have a slightly different outer seal which helps them seize up in a slightly longer time frame.... :roll:

MKIV calipers are a COMPLETELY different design which does mean you need a new pair of rear flexy hoses to fit them, but the handbrake mechanism is WAY better... 8) Yes, they are more expensive, but you'll not have to change 'em for a long long while, so it's worth it... 8) :D

Going back to the problem in hand - if you've replaced the cable, does the new cable actually pull the caliper's spring loaded arm at all when you pull the handle? If the sprung arm is "fully sprung" and refusing to move back to it's rest position then chances are you've got the dead caliper syndrome..

Try forcibly moving the arm on the rear of the caliper. If it moves freely there's something more weird going on...

Checked the handbrake adjustment on the handbrake lever itself and the passenger side handbrake cable bolt was at it max adjustment (i.e. as much as it can be adjusted taughter), while the drivers side bolt adjuster was in mid position and plenty of thread and works fine.

Hi Paul,

You've inadvertantly answered you own question. Corrado handbrakes should never be adjusted at the cable end. Once you see how the self adjuster mechanism works at the caliper end, you'll see why.

Correct cable adjustment is to place 2 nuts right onto the end of the threaded part of the cable - so the cable appears to be very slightly loose. These cables are a specific length & If your handbrake lever feels loose when disengaged - your calipers are seizing & require replacement

The adjuster cams on your calipers need slack cable to allow them to adjust properly.

We stock a good range of VW calipers & should have whichever type you decide to get - in stock.

cheers for all your info guys... good knowledge for future use. :D 8)

After stripping the caliper down, actually found the problem to be a seized moving arm for the handbrake cable of the rear of the caliper.

So now its all fixed and can be MOT'd this saturday, although it'll probably fail on the exhaust as this is blowing slightly on the rear section (though may be welded up) and a few slight blowing area on the middle section.

So may need a new middle section - £100 though - Ouch! Or a new aftermarket system (cos cheaper than a replacement), which ideally I dont want as I love the Corrado's Tailpipe! The C is costing me alot of money just to get it sold. Something's telling me that my C dont wanna leave me :cry:

Oh right, cheers. I'll try and dig out a pic with one on.

So what do most of you use in terms of manufacturer/make for a replacement exhaust?

I usually have custom exhaust's done ,but since I cant drive the corrado due it being without insurance and TAX at the moment, I cant have a custom made for it.

I took mine to a local place and had a custom one made... I've done this with my last 4 decent cars... 8) 2 of which had to be towed to the place 'cos they weren't in a fit state to drive... (no exhausts! ;) :lol: )

I use JP Exhausts in Macclesfield 'cos they're GOOD and local to where I live... 8)

I use JP Exhausts too for both my Polo's.

So I know they are good, apart from once when my highly tuned old G40 was up there and they just ftted the 2 1/4 exhaust and was revving the nuts off the car from stone cold to check for any knocking. Had to give the fitter a verbal bitch slap for it but besides that one incident (I usually put a note on the steering wheel to avoid them revving it fom cold) aint had a problem with them and very good quality are their exhausts! Got a comfy waiting room too, sometimes im too tired to go off into Manc, so just kip in there til the car is ready!

They are an hour away from me, although I wouldn't be able to tw the corrado up there really. My current G40 is getting booked in there in last week of July to finally get its exhaust made.