Cressa

Heater box vs polo equivalent

I've just removed my heater box to refurbish the vent flaps etc and fix a new bottom fixing screw into the unit. As luck may have it a P plate polo was at my work and we could cut it up. As I've had no look getting the bulkhead fixings, I looked and these were the same. Result. 1 vw polo heater box in my possession. I will say they have sorted the dodgy cog mechanism we corrado ' have but more importantly the flaps inside the boxes are covered in a better material and look to be exactly the same sizes. Okay its still old but better than my deteriorated ones. I've taken the mad decision and have split my box in two (surprisingly easy) and am cleaning and doing the swap. If I were good with plastic welding I think I would change to this mechanism. .. what has surprised me is this 1.4 polo has a VALEO heater matrix 1H2819031A which is the same as in a spare corrado box I'm stripping for a cog..

88aa14fdbe944c787bcc93eadb6a247d.jpg

Good effort and thanks for sharing! It's always good to find this sort of thing out as I'm sure lots of other parts are shared with VAG group cars of similar vintage, especially as its like this are becoming nigh on impossible to find. It's all well and good DIYing some things but always preferable to replace with original parts. :thumbleft:

Finished. 2 hrs work. All clean and looking ready to go back in. I had been looking at acquiring the right foam or felt to refurbish the inner flaps with. Definitely happy with swapping for the polo covered flaps and fitted the shiny valeo unit at the same time.

I hope this helps others ☺

On another positive note, I've refurbished the corrado outer vent flaps. (The bits that shut off the air supply) Taking them apart is easy and again i used the parts from the P plate polo. Take the polo CENTRE vent flaps out, carefully pull the foam from around this and transplant it over to the corrado outer flaps. No cutting required. Really easy, minimal cost and time, no more pieces of sticky foam blowing out and it works. Result. All I need to do now is find something genuine for the large corrado centre vent flap.