cmalyan

Faulty immobiliser

Morning,

I had a Toad AI606 fitted about 2.5 months ago and all had been fine until last night. I went to start the car but I'm getting nothing - the ignition lights all come on and I can hear a relay(?) clicking when turning the key, I also noticed that my clock had reset to 0:00.

Does this sound like its the immobiliser? I just wanted to check before calling out the fitter to look at it.

Thanks!!

I'm no expert but the clock back to 0:00 suggests to me a possible battery issue.

Yeah, I was wondering, that's why I mentioned the clock, although it only reset upon trying to start the car and not previously - also, I fitted a new battery only a couple of months ago.

Yeah, I was wondering, that's why I mentioned the clock, although it only reset upon trying to start the car and not previously - also, I fitted a new battery only a couple of months ago.

The attempt to start the car could have dropped the voltage enough to reset the clock. Bung it on charge for a couple of hours and try again.

The attempt to start the car could have dropped the voltage enough to reset the clock. Bung it on charge for a couple of hours and try again.

I'll give that a go but I think battery is ok, as I tried the radio, headlights etc and they all still worked as expected....

it does sound like battery

the valver took a bit more starting than usual last weekend. although interior light came on & the time was ok when I got in the car after a couple of failed cranks the time reset to 00:00

fortunately I managed to get it started but the juice in the battery was the last it had I think

ailing batteries can cause lots of funny issues

also, your radio & headlights all could of worked as the battery had enough voltage to light them up but not enough to turn the starter motor over possibly

Remember when mine run out of electricity due to an alternator fault. Once the drain of the lights lowered the voltage enough, the ECU wouldn't work and stop it did.

Ok, so I decided to try and jump start it this evening.

Hooked it up to the Touareg, gave it a few minutes and tried the C.....nothing, again, nothing, tried multiple times and still nothing. One thing I did notice when I tried with the headlights on, I got a

'---P---' display on the dash?!

Anyway, was about or give up and for some reason I tried with the clutch pressed in, started first time!! I think I'm going mad, as there is no logic to why it would start like that?!! :bonk:

So, I' went to start the car again today and no joy again! I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, as I just ran a multimeter on it and it's reading 12.65. I think the fact it 'jump started' was coincidental because as mentioned it didn't start initially after numerous tries.....

This then leads me back to my initially thought of the immobiliser or the ignition switch??

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

So, I' went to start the car again today and no joy again! I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, as I just ran a multimeter on it and it's reading 12.65. I think the fact it 'jump started' was coincidental because as mentioned it didn't start initially after numerous tries.....

This then leads me back to my initially thought of the immobiliser or the ignition switch??

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

have you checked the fuse for the immobiliser? I think it is position 9

when the gf's old storm wouldn't start it turned out to be the fuse, changed it & bingo all was ok again

have you checked the fuse for the immobiliser? I think it is position 9

when the gf's old storm wouldn't start it turned out to be the fuse, changed it & bingo all was ok again

Thanks unfortunately it's not the fuse - I have just checked the fuse 9 (which is showing as rear screen defogger) and also fuse position 10, which on the diagram is showing as blank but had a 15a fuse in but both were fine :(

Thanks unfortunately it's not the fuse - I have just checked the fuse 9 (which is showing as rear screen defogger) and also fuse position 10, which on the diagram is showing as blank but had a 15a fuse in but both were fine :(

sorry I must have gotten the fuse location wrong

IIRC the immobiliser shares the same fuse as the rear spoiler but I checked here & couldn't see it https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vw+corrado+fuse+box+diagram&biw=1328&bih=775&tbm=isch&imgil=BAKYcaGqZixa9M%253A%253Bfm6ZxfLsIu42qM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fforums.vwvortex.com%25252Fshowthread.php%25253F3214717-corrado-fuse-box-picture-diagram-with-all-the-numbered-fuses&source=iu&pf=m&fir=BAKYcaGqZixa9M%253A%252Cfm6ZxfLsIu42qM%252C_&dpr=0.9&usg=__pkJigk9uqZ-iJ4NWIuHpjOpY094%3D&ved=0ahUKEwj3ycLC3avKAhVJXRQKHY3ECRQQyjcINQ&ei=QdqYVrelGcm6UY2Jp6AB#imgrc=BAKYcaGqZixa9M%3A&usg=__pkJigk9uqZ-iJ4NWIuHpjOpY094%3D

I don't have my Bentley manual to hand sorry

EDIT: FYI it does sound like it is immobiliser related though & possibly that it is not getting power to it. reason I say is that when an immobiliser has power & is working, if for example it has an issue with the ignition collar not reading or verifying the key chip, the car will start but then cuts out after a second or two. rather than not start at all

hence why I suggested a fuse issue. do you know an auto electrician? or are you able to confirm the immobiliser unit itself is getting power & is earthed correctly etc?

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Your clocks wouldnt reset if it was ignition switch. You generally just get no sort of cranking. My bet is still with the battery or charging system. If the battery was completely dead which your symptoms suggest it is, jumping it will not matter. You need to rwmove the battery and charge, or remove battery and hook the jump leads you were using directly to the pos & neg cables on your car mate. If it starts no problem, the battery is dead.

sorry I must have gotten the fuse location wrong

IIRC the immobiliser shares the same fuse as the rear spoiler but I checked here & couldn't see it https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vw+corrado+fuse+box+diagram&biw=1328&bih=775&tbm=isch&imgil=BAKYcaGqZixa9M%253A%253Bfm6ZxfLsIu42qM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fforums.vwvortex.com%25252Fshowthread.php%25253F3214717-corrado-fuse-box-picture-diagram-with-all-the-numbered-fuses&source=iu&pf=m&fir=BAKYcaGqZixa9M%253A%252Cfm6ZxfLsIu42qM%252C_&dpr=0.9&usg=__pkJigk9uqZ-iJ4NWIuHpjOpY094%3D&ved=0ahUKEwj3ycLC3avKAhVJXRQKHY3ECRQQyjcINQ&ei=QdqYVrelGcm6UY2Jp6AB#imgrc=BAKYcaGqZixa9M%3A&usg=__pkJigk9uqZ-iJ4NWIuHpjOpY094%3D

I don't have my Bentley manual to hand sorry

EDIT: FYI it does sound like it is immobiliser related though & possibly that it is not getting power to it. reason I say is that when an immobiliser has power & is working, if for example it has an issue with the ignition collar not reading or verifying the key chip, the car will start but then cuts out after a second or two. rather than not start at all

hence why I suggested a fuse issue. do you know an auto electrician? or are you able to confirm the immobiliser unit itself is getting power & is earthed correctly etc?

No problem about the fuse location, I appreciate the help! I just mentioned it in case someone else comes across this thread in the future.

I wouldn't know where to even start on checking the power and earth to the immobiliser (electrics are not my strong point!!) The alarm was only fitted a couple of months ago by Southern Car Security, so maybe I should get them out again...

Can I definitely rule out the ignition switch, I have a spare new one which I've been putting off fitting!

Edit: Just seen reply from Seanl82 re ignition switch. I did test the battery though and I was getting 12.65 reading

Edited by cmalyan

No problem about the fuse location, I appreciate the help! I just mentioned it in case someone else comes across this thread in the future.

I wouldn't know where to even start on checking the power and earth to the immobiliser (electrics are not my strong point!!) The alarm was only fitted a couple of months ago by Southern Car Security, so maybe I should get them out again...

Can I definitely rule out the ignition switch, I have a spare new one which I've been putting off fitting!

Edit: Just seen reply from Seanl82 re ignition switch. I did test the battery though and I was getting 12.65 reading

ahh if the alarm is recent then yes I would call them. they may be able to tell you how to rule out if it is the immobiliser or not.

however, as per seanl82 post I would try putting a known good working battery on it & retry before calling alarm company. as he mentioned, if the current battery is completely dead it wouldn't be able to hold any of the charge being put into it from the jumper

has your battery got one of those health window things. small clear covered round hole which IIRC shows as green if it is healthy or black if dying/dead

ok, so I just tow started it and took it for a 25 mile drive, got it back, turned it off and tried starting it again.....nothing! So I must be able to rule out the battery, as it should have charged enough to at least show some life when re-starting?

I also checked the battery which is only a couple of months old and it does have the green indicator in the health window. :scratch:

Check the battery terminals and the connection on the starter and the main engine earth, the battery may measure as good but you have a supply problem, engine earth loose, corroded, damaged would be my guess

Check the battery terminals and the connection on the starter and the main engine earth, the battery may measure as good but you have a supply problem, engine earth loose, corroded, damaged would be my guess

Have to agree i had the same problem on mine, thought it was the starter motor but turned out to be the positive cable from the battery to the starter motor. Cleaned it up and started first time and touch wood has done since (2/3 years ago)

ok, so I just tow started it and took it for a 25 mile drive, got it back, turned it off and tried starting it again.....nothing! So I must be able to rule out the battery, as it should have charged enough to at least show some life when re-starting?

I also checked the battery which is only a couple of months old and it does have the green indicator in the health window. :scratch:

normally the green indicator is a good sign.

do you know if your alternator is charging properly?

can you hear the starter motor trying or literally nothing at all when turning key?

if nothing, you could try giving the starter motor a knock with a hammer just in case it is stuck. I had one go on my VR but that did not loose clocks etc when it jammed, simply nothing on key turn except dash lights etc

as per dox & jon also check the live & earth to the starter motor & probably worth checking all the earths you can find as funny things can happen when 1 isn't grounding properly

Hi,

Thanks all for the advice but I've still not managed to resolve the issue. This evening I have, cleaned the terminals on the battery, cleaned the cables on the starter motor, hitting the starter motor and resetting the alarm.

The only thing I haven't done is clean the main engine earth, as I was unable to locate it - I thought it was bolted on the rear firewall??

I'm getting nothing from the starter motor when turning, all I can hear is the fuel pump and relay clicking, everything lights up on the dash as expected....

If you have decent jump leads, use one from the neg terminal on the battery to the engine block (replicating the engine earth).

If you have decent jump leads, use one from the neg terminal on the battery to the engine block (replicating the engine earth).

Thanks, just tried that and still nothing....I'm now thinking it might be the starter motor??

Thanks, just tried that and still nothing....I'm now thinking it might be the starter motor??

is the starter motor making any noise at all

when the one went on my VR it was a case of turn key, lights came on, fuel relay could be heard but no attempt from the SM to turn over

is the starter motor making any noise at all

when the one went on my VR it was a case of turn key, lights came on, fuel relay could be heard but no attempt from the SM to turn over

Ah ok, yes the lights come on the dash, can hear fuel relay and I can hear a 'metallic clunk' come from the starter motor but it doesn't turn the engine at all....