John Blount

Tyre size on original sport line alloys

Hi everyone,

I've got a VR6 which has got some dodge alloys on it from when I brought it, I want to put some original Sport lines back on which I've found (5 hole) but the tyres that are fitted which need replacing as their worn out are 195's and I believe VR6's had 205's.

Not being a tyre expert would that be an issue or are these alloys which are visually identical to what would have been original different?

The stamp on the alloy is : 6 1/2J x 15H2 ET43

Thanks for any help..

Hi everyone,

I've got a VR6 which has got some dodge alloys on it from when I brought it, I want to put some original Sport lines back on which I've found (5 hole) but the tyres that are fitted which need replacing as their worn out are 195's and I believe VR6's had 205's.

Not being a tyre expert would that be an issue or are these alloys which are visually identical to what would have been original different?

The stamp on the alloy is : 6 1/2J x 15H2 ET43

Thanks for any help..

Speedlines with 205 50 15 rubber.

195s are fine mate. A lot of people fit them now anyway as they're much cheaper as the 205s are much less common in 15". I believe the earlier (or possibly later.....) vr6 was fitted with 195 as standard. Either way there was a switchover mid run of the model so there's nothing to worry about at all.

I've always bought the 205s. Tempted to try the 195. Is there any noticeable difference on the road. 10mm is quite a bit really. I wonder if the thinner tyre might be better on the terrible roads i use.

I run 195's on my Speedlines. I actually prefer how they look as find the 205's quite balloon like when looking at them side by side.

Difference to ride and handling isn't all that significant to be honest. A bit firmer, a bit more likely to under steer if pushing it.. No big deal though.

Worth it for the price saving and wider choice of rubber.

195s are fine mate. A lot of people fit them now anyway as they're much cheaper as the 205s are much less common in 15". I believe the earlier (or possibly later.....) vr6 was fitted with 195 as standard. Either way there was a switchover mid run of the model so there's nothing to worry about at all.

Not true. VR6 always had 205 wide tyres from day one. This was due to the extra weight and torque over the G60.

Though you have a wider choice of tyres in 195 width I would still stick to 205s myself. They aren't a lot more expensive when you're comparing decent brands and as an added bonus they look meaner.. :)