JimmyC92

Sunroof question

The dreaded topic! My sunroof will tilt, won't go back and opens when you lock the car. Any suggestions other then use the search function? I'm not particularly confident with electrics.

Seems strange it does it when you lock the car. Do you have an aftermarket alarm that would close everything b4?

Seems strange it does it when you lock the car. Do you have an aftermarket alarm that would close everything b4?

It's got a Clifford alarm, I'm not sure if that's factory fitted or not!

Just wondering if you could disconnect your alarm, somehow remove a fuse and see if that allows it to open correctly. .. worth a try.

Or contact the person who fitted the alarm and see if it sounds like that could be a problem.... only costs a phone call

odd that it is opening when locking car

I do recall that an alarm fitter once told me that to enable the full closure function on the alarms it is only normally one wire that needs to be connected - not sure how you could get that the wrong way round or somehow connect it up in the opposite way it should be but it sounds along those lines

what happens if you close the door using the key in a 'turn & hold' fashion?

normally this would operate the full closure function from the door lock & close the sunroof & windows if open

if the above functions normally I would say the alarm is not quite wired correctly for the full closure - if not then it points elsewhere

Is it possible that a sensor thinks the sun roof is open so when the closure of the alarm kicks in it tries to shut the roof. This is based on a guess that the motor spins one way to bring it backwards and the opposite way to close it which would be the same direction to tilt it. Might explain why it won't go back cos it thinks it's already open. Just a thought.

odd that it is opening when locking car

I do recall that an alarm fitter once told me that to enable the full closure function on the alarms it is only normally one wire that needs to be connected - not sure how you could get that the wrong way round or somehow connect it up in the opposite way it should be but it sounds along those lines

what happens if you close the door using the key in a 'turn & hold' fashion?

normally this would operate the full closure function from the door lock & close the sunroof & windows if open

if the above functions normally I would say the alarm is not quite wired correctly for the full closure - if not then it points elsewhere

I think this is what you need to try - lock the car, using the key, and hold it turned in the lock position. This activates the Corrado's built in full closure mechanism. If it does open the sunroof, then at this point the problem is with your sunroof motor being out of sync with the actual position of the sunroof mechanism and will need resetting.

I should imagine if you were to close the sunroof to the position you want it, then drop the motor out of the roof but leave it connected (so it can't actually drive anything) then lock the car using the full closure, the motor will reset itself to the position it considers 'correct'. Then you could reinstall the motor back into the roof and should be all good to go?

Slightly off topic but do early sunroof motors have the Allen key to move the motor manually. I have taken mine out and still can't find it.

Is there a small black plastic cover with a white arrow on yours? If so move it 90°and you'll see its covering the Allen key manual release fitting

Is there a small black plastic cover with a white arrow on yours? If so move it 90°and you'll see its covering the Allen key manual release fitting

My motor hasn't got one so I guess that's the case with all early motors.

Well I have managed to stop the sunroof opening when I lock the car, however it still won't retract fully, it gets to a point and then stops, the motor doesn't even seem to attempt to push it back, no noise at all!

Is it possible the part of the motor that fully retracts the sunroof is faulty? To my find if the motor was faulty it just wouldn't work at all? But I'm new to Corrado's!

I think this is what you need to try - lock the car, using the key, and hold it turned in the lock position. This activates the Corrado's built in full closure mechanism. If it does open the sunroof, then at this point the problem is with your sunroof motor being out of sync with the actual position of the sunroof mechanism and will need resetting.

I should imagine if you were to close the sunroof to the position you want it, then drop the motor out of the roof but leave it connected (so it can't actually drive anything) then lock the car using the full closure, the motor will reset itself to the position it considers 'correct'. Then you could reinstall the motor back into the roof and should be all good to go?

Just wanted to say thank you! Gave this a bash and it now doesn't open when I lock the car! Still an issue that it won't fully retract but it will tilt!

Wow - I actually gave some useful technical information that helped resolve the problem. Pinch me, I'm dreaming :) Glad I could help! :)

How far will it open before stopping? I wonder if something is jammed in the mechanism somewhere, stopping it from fully opening. The Corrado sunroof is, sadly, a notorious problem spot so you certainly aren't the first and won't be the last to run into problems with one! :(