Sign in to follow this  
16vStyle

Misfires when Hot

My 2.0 16v, misfires when it's warm, runs fine on start up and until its up to temerature. I have changed the leads plugs, rotor arm, and got a new dizzy cap.

The problem lies however with the temperature sensor. I have replaced both the temperature sender and the temperature sensor, hoping this would solve the problem. However i disconnected the temperature sensor plug and it now runs smoothly, doesn't go as normal but it goes. I don't wanna leave this un-plugged, for any period of time..

Anyone any ideas on what the problem is?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

S

By disconnecting the blue temp plug, your telling the ecu to go into service mode (also with 3 blips of rpm over 2K - but normally gets into that once driven), giving outputs of sensors default values into the ecu so it drives normally as its not using the knackered sensors output. You shouldn't be able to start the engine with the blue plug disconnected nor should it idle very well if at all. And the MPG is about 15mpg!

Its a sensor fault or ECu-Sensor loom wiring from your info. When my Polo has this problem, repalced alot of stuff, it was the wiring loom knackered, and only after serious fault invest with a fluke meter was it found.

Once a certain temp is reached (about 70deg) the sensor tells the ecu , yep, im at switch over temp, so the ecu switches over to read instead of cold start parameters, reading normal operation values. It sounds more temp side of things. And the wiring for the temp connectors is fragile

You can discount the lambda probe by driving the car with it disconnected at the connector.

Probably loads of info left out there for a explanation, im sure Henny will fill you in.

erm, not me polog40racer, :oops:

I'm not too hot on the whole ECU side of the 2.0 16V so I can't add anything here... :| (in fact, I learnt some stuff from that little lot! :D 8) )

erm, not me polog40racer, :oops:

I'm not too hot on the whole ECU side of the 2.0 16V so I can't add anything here... :| (in fact, I learnt some stuff from that little lot! :D 8) )

Oh soz Henny, Was sure we had a conversation about this on the Dubforce forum a while back. heh. :lol:

ECU side of things concerning sensing, Most VW ecu's 'sense' in the same manner (4cyl wise) so alot of stuff is related. So there aint 'that' much difference between engine sensing on different engines, be it 18. 8v/G60 or 2l 16v. The principle stays the same.

Paul C