G60_Chris

Corrado G60

Okay, the car is nearly ready for collection...All the glass etc is now back in the car, just needs wiper arms, door handles and door cards to be fitted. Paintwork has been polished to a lovely shine! :)

All red rear lights are now fitted onto the car as well, much better than the crystal ones that were on it previously I think as they just seemed a bit "bling" for the direction I am going with this project.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-04%20at%2018.11.52_zpsw0sh9sh1.png

Looking lovely - impressive work in just 3 days!

Almost 3 days lol, they had it 10am Monday but still for a weeks work I'm very impressed! :)

Just wondering that too! Hadn't noticed it the first time around.

Looks nice though and amazingly quick work!!

It was raised to be painted... you can get full coverage of it easily enough, and of all the tailgate underneath/behind it so no worries there.

Looked fine to me when I was re-fitting the rear number plate lights anyway ;)

Well the new supercharger arrived today... So removed the old one again, went to fit the new one, and its damaged! :( The oil return thread has been damaged whilst being delivered I am guessing, so have messaged the seller on eBay but also have a good friend asking a few contacts who deal with engineering and race engines to try and repair the thread, still enough to ruin my good mood with the respray!

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-06%20at%2021.24.05_zpsirnntlq7.png

One good thing that I did find, was that the car has been fitted with a 68mm pulley and chip which explains why when it was working, it did go well.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-06%20at%2021.22.51_zps0meu5rvo.png

Well finger crossed my next update will be happy news...

1step forward etc seems the Corrado likes to test folks patience just ask Jim I won't get involved for fear of being banned!!

Nice looking paint job. You said "windows all back in" again, so how did the paintjob cope with the glued-in rear quarter and tailgate windows, and more importantly the seals of the rear quarter windows? AFAIK they're obsolete, so if damaged, you're buggered, basically. Curious to know :)

You'll also get the oil pipe thread sorted, I'm sure. Besides the weather is still crap (well, here in the Midlands anyway) to enjoy freshly painted nice cars like yours :)

Tempest

Nice looking paint job. You said "windows all back in" again, so how did the paintjob cope with the glued-in rear quarter and tailgate windows, and more importantly the seals of the rear quarter windows? AFAIK they're obsolete, so if damaged, you're buggered, basically. Curious to know :)

You'll also get the oil pipe thread sorted, I'm sure. Besides the weather is still crap (well, here in the Midlands anyway) to enjoy freshly painted nice cars like yours :)

Tempest

Rear quarter windows and tailgate glass stayed in place, however windscreen and side glass was replaced at the same time for items in better condition.

Yeah oil return thread is with a friend who has another friend trying to repair it today for me to get it back on the road... Fingers & toes crossed!

The car is looking great Chris . Shame I didn't get to see it on Saturday . Even more of a shame with the news on the charger though .hope you get it sorted mate .

The car is looking great Chris . Shame I didn't get to see it on Saturday . Even more of a shame with the news on the charger though .hope you get it sorted mate .

I know, sorry I couldn't stay bud... Engineering friend of a friend has got the charger now and he says its repairable and should hopefully get it done tomorrow meaning if all goes well it'll be fitted tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed!

Well a quick update... had the oil return feed thread repaired and they did an excellent job! Really impressed with the repair, however after fitting the charger, priming the seals with oil etc - and then starting the car it was apparent all was not well with the charger, so whatever damage it sustained on the outer casing, the insides also must have gotten damaged as it made a horrendous noise so it's now been removed AGAIN and has been posted back to L&S Cartec in Germany who I will NEVER be dealing with again.

So after speaking to Only Charged Dubs they are sorting me out with a nice custom built spec charger to go on the car... but may take a little while as they are up to their eyeballs in work, but fingers crossed it's sooner rather than later as driving the car without the charger is mind numbingly boring lol.

Well enough time had passed since the respray to give the car a good wash, seal and wax seeing as it was a dry(ish) day. Then went out and took some photos...

tunnel3_zpspcvamvhg.jpg

tunnel4_zpse4a7ubnv.jpg

night1_zpsoahgqric.jpg

After what feels like forever, I have some progress (touch wood!)...

The newly rebuilt charger from Only Charged Dubs arrived yesterday so it was all hands to the pump to get it fitted before the weekend. Got the old one removed (again) and then fitted the new one, fitted the new oil feed and return pipes and carried out an engine flush and oil change with the correct grade of oil 10w40 Semi Synthetic. Primed the new charger as per the instructions, and then let the car idle and got the engine up to temperature to check for leaks etc. After a few adjustments, it was started again and after a few minutes I slowly increased the revs from idle upto 1000rpm, 1500rpm, 2000rpm and then 2200rpm when I heard what can only be described as a scary noise! Almost like a buzzing from the charger area. Checked the oil feed pipe, yep plenty of oil in there.

By this time, it was getting late and I'd had enough for one evening, so I packed everything away and thought I'd tackle it again in the morning with after some sleep...

Saturday morning and I started the car up and again let it idle up to temperature, another quick check in the daytime for leaks was also done. Increased the revs as I had done the previous day and the noise returned. I phoned OCD and spoke to Matt who said that you can sometimes get noises from the chargers after a rebuild, and to take the car for a drive and see how I got on, which I did. At first the noise remained, and I was ready to admit defeat when after a longer drive at a constant RPM, the noise got quieter! I carried on driving, and the more I was driving the better the noise got! Now I'm not sure if this is normal, or anyone has come across this before (would be good to hear if anyone has), but long story short I have covered 80 miles today with varying loads whilst keeping the RPM under 3000RPM as per the instructions for running in, and the noise has gone completely and I'm just left with the hollow G60 noise (hard to describe) that from what I can work out, is normal.

So fingers crossed all is good now, and I can start to enjoy Corrado ownership again! I'm guessing that the oil just needed to get to all the right places within the charger and driving it more obviously got the lubrication to where it needed to go, and perhaps it was a slightly dry seal thats now been lubricated? Who know's I'm not that clued up on G-Laders but as long as that noise stays away and the boost stays within the engine then I'm happy!

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-27%20at%2021.51.26_zpso4lxij2e.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-27%20at%2021.51.06_zpsce2pqphl.png

• Like 1

This car is awesome. White, great wheels, new charger.

Never dealt with then myself but I believe OCD have a good reputation so if it sounds fine now, you're getting good boost, and oil feed and pressure is fine I'd say it seems all good.

This car is awesome. White, great wheels, new charger.

Never dealt with then myself but I believe OCD have a good reputation so if it sounds fine now, you're getting good boost, and oil feed and pressure is fine I'd say it seems all good.

Thanks :) Yeah, I think I am just a little worried because the original charger failed so badly... Really don't want that to happen again EVER lol. I've had air ride done by OCD and that was done to a high standard, and the pictures of the rebuild etc they sent show that it was done properly, I don't doubt their workmanship for a second but theres always a chance that a seal or something could be faulty, but as I say hopefully it just needed a good run to get it all moving about/lubricated properly.

Managed to get hold of a genuine N.O.S deep front splitter for the car from a work colleague who had bought one for his old Corrado but sold the car before getting a chance to fit it, so it sat in his garage for years... Old one came off nicely, and the new one went on just as easily. Just in time for Ultimate Dubs too :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-01%20at%2018.14.49_zpsgf3cbydp.png

Well the charger is still running nicely, even after a spirited drive up to Ultimate Dubs at the weekend. First time showing with the Corrado inside, think it went down well but tbh I'm not fussed I built it for me lol.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of it indoors...

G60ud4_zpsp9p1i2lm.jpg

G60ud2_zps1gmscgyu.jpg

G60ud6_zpsvv08r9cm.jpg

G60ud3_zpswoeeez5s.jpg

ud62_zpskvbcmiru.jpg

ud61_zpszncbbdvs.jpg

ud60_zpskypce4bk.jpg

I had a lot of positive feedback from Ultimate Dubs which was nice, even if it didn't have mega expensive custom wheels or air-ride... for a build that had only taken a few months, I'm more than happy with how it was sitting at the show!

Seeing as the car behaved itself on the way up, and on the return leg of the trip back down to Devon I treated the G60 to a new steering wheel, something that I had been wanting to do but wasn't able to find a steering wheel that worked (most either looked too modern, had the wrong colours going on or I just didn't like them). So went for a newly released Sparco steering wheel, I like it anyway... :lol:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2021.12.11_zpsu3okshir.png

Mate, you're right not to be worried what others think. Car looks amazing! Nice to see something different in the steering wheel stakes as well.

Looking very nice

Okay, time for a little update...

Went up to Castle Combe for the Spring Action day, upon returning I found grease on the underside of the engine. Long story short, the original plastic supercharger silencer box is leaking (the grease is in the box from the rebuild) and has dripped down underneath. Rather than replace it with another plastic one, which I have since found out are very prone to leaking of boost pressure (so it will run even better after it's fixed), I have ordered a RSR Outlet kit from Dubforce. Hopefully that will be here in time for the weekend.

I've also been talking to a local exhaust shop about making me a custom system, I want to do away with the two massive silencers and also increase the overall bore of the system at the same time so it will be straight through with a small silencer box at the rear. Still waiting to hear back when they might be able to do this, so will update when I know more.

I removed the 90mm front splitter and fitted a new 50mm version one from VW Heritige, less catching now so I'm happy.

I've removed the Sparco steering wheel from the car as I bit the bullet and bought the one I really wanted (Momo 280mm). It's small, but it's what I am used to really as the mk3 VR6 I had before the Corrado had one fitted.

I've fitted the standard rear lights back onto the car as I wasn't happy with the finish on the all red lights, and as time went on they seemed to be looking worse. I'm quite liking the original amber/red combination if I'm honest and adds to the OEM+(ish I am aiming for with the car.

I also changed the tyre size on the car, went from 195/45/16 all round down to 195/40/16 all round instead, giving less sidewall. It's really only for appearance, but the front tyres did also need replacing anyway.

I also adjusted the coilovers down a touch too.

Anyway, some updated pictures...

se4_zpsucox8phr.jpg

se1_zpsfwfjd4nz.jpg

Edited by G60_Chris