seanl82

Occasional dead key turn

Morning Gents, having a bit of a snag where occasionally when I turn the key nothing happens.

I've changed the ignition switch, and just swapped the starter motor over for a Golf V5 one and symptoms remain the same.

Only other thing I can think is ECU relay or the ECU itself?

I've scanned it with VCDS, and there are no apparent fault codes - would the ECU relay being faulty show up on VCDS?

Has anyone encountered similar/same problems before and can suggest anything? Is there something obvious I may be missing? I can't think of anything else it might be aside from what I've said above?

Any help much appreciated as always!!!

:thumbleft:

Morning Gents, having a bit of a snag where occasionally when I turn the key nothing happens.

I've changed the ignition switch, and just swapped the starter motor over for a Golf V5 one and symptoms remain the same.

Only other thing I can think is ECU relay or the ECU itself?

I've scanned it with VCDS, and there are no apparent fault codes - would the ECU relay being faulty show up on VCDS?

Has anyone encountered similar/same problems before and can suggest anything? Is there something obvious I may be missing? I can't think of anything else it might be aside from what I've said above?

Any help much appreciated as always!!!

:thumbleft:

Is the engine earth secure and clean?

Ok scrub the above.

Here is what I tried:

Ignition switch - Meyle from VW Heritage

Starter Motor - Remanufactured Golf V5 unit

ECU relay - Used but in working condition

Battery pos cable bypass using jump leads directly to the starter motor live.

Battery neg cable bypass using jump leads directly to the starter motor earth.

Get up out of the car whilst key in position 3 and no cranking - fires into life!

A few more tests when nothing happens by lifting the key in the ignition slightly, and starts every time.

Removed drivers undertrays and steering cowl to be sure all connectors were seated correctly, and all was fine.

Note to self/all, don't trust aftermarket parts even when new!

Is the engine earth secure and clean?

It is mate, engine was removed about 18 months ago and completely freshened up, all earth points were torqued and greased up when putting back together so was pretty confident it wasn't anything to do with that.

See above for fix though!