John Blount

Poor idle and I've done everything! VR6

I know this has been covered endlessly and I have read what seems like think everything to do with idle issues but I've still got the same problem so sorry if this is old news!!

The car is fine when warm in fact after 3-4 minutes of running from cold it's not to bad but it's those first couple of minutes that's the problem as it's hard to keep it going.I get a constant error code of 00533 idle speed regulation 09-00 Adaptation limit surpassed on VCDS.

I've replaced the ISV with a brand new one and this has made no difference at all and I still get the error code! I've got no air leaks and I have replaced the PCV as it had split with a brand new one.

I've had the throttle body off and fully cleaned it and thats fine, it's had new plugs, leads and a brand new coil pack and a very though service with all the fluids being replaced.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the BLUE temp sender which I believe sends information to the ECU when cold? Could this is if faulty cause poor idling when cold?

Is there anything I have missed or I can test to get a little closer to what the problem might be??

Just to put it out there I'm having it Terra Cleaned next Saturday so this should clean the injectors etc but I don't think there at fault as its not to bad when warm albeit a bit lumpy sometimes.

Any ideas on any think I can try!

I had similar-ish problems (the problem seemed to occur mostly within the first 20 mins). I started by replacing the ISV, looked for air leaks... all the usual culprits and it turned out the "new" £40 ISV from fleabay was kaput. Cleaned up the original ISV with carb cleaner, slung it back in and away it went. Thought it worth a mention.

the Maf sensor also effects idling but I don't think this is your problem due to it getting better as the temp rises , its worth trying a new temp sender as there not expensive , what I would do is {from cold} just unplug the temp sender and plug it in to the new one so its just hanging off the plug just to try it out as your engine will be as cold as that temp sender, so it should start and run fine from cold in that respect,

I suppose the new ISV could be faulty, how do you know if they are working as I heard that they "hum" meaning it's supposedly working but will it just do this with the ignition on and the engines cold or do you need to have it running to check if it "humming" that way?

Thanks VW_OwneR_85 I have actually cleaned the MAF sensor but I think your right I think I'll get a blue temp sender and try it but I think I'll also try and find out how to test the ISV is working as the new one I fitted could be as bad as the old one I took off!

just noticed you used vcds, you can look at the coolant temp that the ecu is getting, do this when the engines cold , the temp should be the same, 5 degrees? idk but if its saying something a lot higher like 100, then obviously its the problem..

I just disconnected the outlet, twisted it up and played with the throttle. You could see the internal mechanism flopping about with as much conviction as a T rex striking a match.

Sorry, do you mean check the ECU temperature against what's being sent to the dash temp gauge?

you could do if you have been driving but idd prefer to do it when the engine/cooling system is completely cold then the temp is going to be around 5 to 10 degrees I would of thought, if its significantly higher or lower, then change it ,

My money is on the temp sensor too . I've only just seen this thread . I had simalar problems, my sensor was reading a constant 76d .

Morning guys, right I've got it hooked up to Vag Com with the engine stone cold.

I've gone into advanced measuring blocks and the coolant temperature is showing 10.5 degrees, which it is about that in here. Am I looking at the right thing?

Throttle angle is 12.5 degrees.

Edited by John Blount

John, I'm having similar problems. I've got code 00533 09-00 adaptation limit surpassed from cold,

but when I clear it when the car is warm, I get 10-00 not reached.

I've tried 3 ISVs including the original and brand new (although £30 ebay jobby) with exact same symptoms.

My car sometimes struggles to idle above 550rpm and seems as if it about to cut out, but other times it'll be idling at up to 1500 rpm.

It goes up and down. When warm it idles around 1050 rpm and fluctuates a little.

In addition to the ISV, I've checked all hoses and all were good, I connected a spare blue temp sensor, although VCDS shows the one fitted is rising as it should. My car was left in the garage for 10 months and was fine when left, but has been like this since.

If I find the snag before you do I'll post it on here. I won't start another thread as this is very close to the problem I'm encountering.

If you weren't aware, idle when warm should be 650-750 rpm.

Sean, very similar fault.. Mines terrible when stone cold for about 2-3 minutes and as yours some times wants to cut out unless I keep it going by adding a bit of throttle.

Once it's warm it does tick over as you say around the 650-750 mark and drives fine so it must be something pretty simple. As the guys have already suggested I'm going to get a new blue sensor and while I'm at it I'll change all the others just to count these out.

It would be good to hear if you sort it..

Just worth a mention I had the terra clean treatment and didn't make any difference to the running or emissions of my vr.. Didn't having any running issues and felt just the same afterwards!!

I hear what your saying about the Terra clean and I'm not expecting it to be a magic cure but the car that I've got sat idle for 11 years until October so I'm hoping it will at least give it a good clean.

I've gone into advanced measuring blocks and the coolant temperature is showing 10.5 degrees, which it is about that in here. Am I looking at the right thing?

sounds about right then , I would tick that off the list and it wouldn't hurt to check that temp again when its hot vs the dash gauge, not sure about throttle angle, is the car driving ok? especially when you boot it? , the only time iv had an idle issue was because of maff sensor but this also played apart in how it ran, so if yours isn't quite right especially when you boot it then see if you can swap over maffs with someone local? as there quite expensive...

Cheapest Bosch maf I've found is £128 with the correct part number for a Corrado, but I'm nipping down to see 'Harrier' Friday afternoon as he's kindly agreed to let me try his first, which may help avoid a needless extra expense.

Drives great once warm but saying that this is the only VR6 Corrado I've driven so I haven't got much to compare it against other than other vehicles but it doesn't miss and it certainly pulls your face off if you boot it!

Cheapest Bosch maf I've found is £128 with the correct part number for a Corrado, but I'm nipping down to see 'Harrier' Friday afternoon as he's kindly agreed to let me try his first, which may help avoid a needless extra expense.

Let me know how you get on :thumbleft: