Jim Bowen

Heated seat element problem?

Had noticed a really hot spot on my arse while driving the other day with heated seats on.

Just looked and it looks like something got very hot and had burnt a hole into the leather. About a 15cm round spot.

Guess I'll have to take seats apart to look. Are the elements a part i can renew?

Not sure tbh Jim, never known anyone attempt it. The element is sewn into a pad though, so doubt it'll be a simple job and I'm not sure what the element is made of either.

Had noticed a really hot spot on my arse while driving the other day with heated seats on.

Just looked and it looks like something got very hot and had burnt a hole into the leather. About a 15cm round spot.

Guess I'll have to take seats apart to look. Are the elements a part i can renew?

hi jim

I am sure I had seen new elements somewhere but I now can not find them

there is a repair guide in the wiki though, could just require a little soldering

I recall seeing them on VW Classic Parts but they seem to have changed their site recently and I can't see them now.

I recall seeing them on VW Classic Parts but they seem to have changed their site recently and I can't see them now.

I thought I had seen them on Heritage too but couldn't see them there today

Been googling and looks like you can buy kits to turn non-heated seats into heated ones, I may just look at buying some elements and replacing all of them, not sure they need to be corrado specific and cost 4x as much as they should :lol:

Think i'm going to have to get a professional to look at the leather and see what can be done, i always think brand new trimmed leather doesn't look as good as well aged stuff and will stick out like a sore thumb if i just get one bit replaced.

When I had my bolsters replaced I got a local place to look through their off cuts to find leather with a similar texture. Its not perfect but as I re coloured the whole lot its not hugely noticeable.

I thought I had seen them on Heritage too but couldn't see them there today

hi jim

I have managed to find the heated seat element on classic parts but it states for Recaro seats http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/sitzheizelement-corrado.html

I am sure they used to list the standard rado ones last year but I can not find them now they have changed their site

it could be worth contacting annavr6 on here & ask her to speak directly with classic parts to see if they have them. IIRC they were around 90euro as I had considered buying one for my VR drivers seat

Nice one, i need to be a member to view link though, will sign up later on. Mine are recaros so they sound suitable.

Am just a bit unsure if because it mentions corrado they will be a silly price compared to aftermarket stuff.

Seen these type of kits

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-Carbon-Element-Heated-Retrofit/dp/B006H2BVLC

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/sitzheizelement-corrado.html

try that one in chrome browser Jim

not sure why the parsed link in my previous post sent you to a log in page as I don't have a log in lol but if I copy the link into internet explorer (IE) it goes to the log in page

or just search for 535 963 555 B on http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/ ;)

This may sound strange but after noticing this problem and not using the seat heating. The car seems to run better and not had the hot start issue or pulsing engine at idle.

Might just be a coincidence. I wonder if the seat was somehow draining the electricity

Maybe your alternator is struggling at idle so with the heated seats (rear screen, lights, radio, etc) its dropping down to battery voltage only?

With the car idling measure voltage across the battery and everything turned off, turn on all electrical consumers and remeasure the voltage, if it drops significantly its struggling.

You could also remove the brush pack and see how much the brushes have worn, a sooty deposit means the brushes are skating on the slip rings because they've worn too short.