Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Exhaust options & Sump question..

Hello.. My corrado passed it's MOT today without any problems 8)

Only thing that was pointed out to me was that the exhaust system is on the way out. It's starting to flake and one of the brackets had rusted through (which is tecnically a fail but it was not knocking so he let it through) The tester said this would need replacing soon.

The car is standard and I want to keep it that way. It has more than enough performance for me as I live in the city. However a few more ponies are never a problem but I don't want to get them at the expence of noise. Can anyone reccomend a decently priced exhaust system that won't break the bank? I assume they can be fitted from the down pipes back.

Also he showed me a small oil leak from the sump. The level is still ok so he assumes it's just the gasket. This looked to me to be quite straightforward job. The sump looked like it was just held on with a series of bolts. I assume if I take them out (after draining the oil :wink: ) it just drops off and the gasket replacement should be easy.

Am I wrong? I am OK at mechanics but most of my experience is with bikes which are a bit... well... smaller.

I assume that the exhaust system from VW is stupid money? Anyone know how much they are?

Thanks!

VW price (Parkway stealer in Derby) for standard exhaust for my G60 (I assume they are the same system) was priced at:

Middle section: £135 +vat

Rear section: £149 +vat.

Either way - Ouch, in the wallet department!

Though I got another price from a local exhaust supplier at £100 for middle section and £89 for the rear section, both + vat = £223 all in.

Think an aftermarket system works out cheaper and are better made though.

Paul

I believe G&SF sell the rear two boxes for £155 and are genuine VW (Lientz). The middle box and CAT are seperate but the latter is unlikley to be in need of replacement at 72K, but check you can see daylight through it just to be on the safe side.

yup, that's how you change the sump... not too difficult, just watch out for the bolts by the gearbox which are a bit of a sod to get at... ;)

yup, that's how you change the sump... not too difficult, just watch out for the bolts by the gearbox which are a bit of a sod to get at... ;)

garage told me that they had to separate the engine from the box a bit just to be able to get access to those bolts.

at least that's how they justified their huge labour charge!

Hmm.. I think I'll try and tackle these bolts first. I've too often been beaten by bolts and had to re-assemble and take to a garage to sort out :mad:

Thanks for the advice so far..

garage told me that they had to separate the engine from the box a bit just to be able to get access to those bolts.

at least that's how they justified their huge labour charge!

Think they may have been pulling a fast one there to be honest... :| I've had the sump off both of the Corrado's I've owned without any major problems (lots of swearing at those two bolts mind, but no problems! ;) ) so I KNOW you can do them on 1.8 16V and G60s without splitting the box and engine...

Invest in a good quality 1/4" drive socket set and extension bar and you should be able to get in at it with no problems... 8)