Sign in to follow this  
BillyD.

Sensor(I think) on HT lead

Hi Folks, looking for some information please.

I have just bought a 2.0l 16V C and I am about to change the ht leads for a set of blue igniters. The problem I have is that there is what appears to be a sensor of some sort, around one of the ht leads on the car. This sensor looks to be a factory fit as there is no way of getting it off the lead that it is on.

This leads to the question, what does it do and how do I fit it to my new set of leads or do I not need to fit it at all?

I have outlined the offending sensor in the picture (excuse the artwork).

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thats the impulse sendor, you will need it...

If there original leads then it unclip and fit straight onto the blue's but I have heard of some cheapo leads where the sendor is built in, if this is the case just get a new one from VAG.

i've got a 1990 16v and i didn't have this on the original leads or the new set i got from VAG, :shock: what the hell's it s'posed to do then, what's not happening on my Corrado :shock: !!!!???????

Don't know what it does, but VAG said the same as "Supercharged" above (it is required). The sensor isn't actually considered part of the ht lead system. The only one I could get from VAG was a sealed unit (the same as already fitted), and I was told that I would need to take the end of the ht lead to pass it thru the sensor. Easy enough job with VAG leads as they are designed with this in mind, not so easy with the blue igniters that I have bought. Car is booked in for a diagnostic on 21/07, hopefully will find out what to do then.

i've got a 1990 16v and i didn't have this on the original leads or the new set i got from VAG, :shock: what the hell's it s'posed to do then, what's not happening on my Corrado :shock: !!!!???????

It's only needed on the 2.0 16Vs... don't panic! 8) :D

It's to let the brain know when a spark goes to 1 or 4 (i forget which) or something to do with that anyway... iIf you disconect it when the engine is running you'll find it upsets the idle.

f you're changing the leads anyway then have a good go at getting it off the orriginal lead... I think one of the ends should come off letting you remove it.

Good luck

Well its worth mentioning that (and I know this isn't a good thing) but when I swapped leads on my 2.0 16v I could find no way of getting that loop onto my new leads and consequently left it disconnected - the car seemed to run ok so I left it off. Owned the car for a further 6 months after doing that and never really had any problems.

ok that sensor is easy to take off and on

basically get ur old leads and pull the actual lead out of the main part that goes into the engine dont worry it just clips on and off

then do the same with ur new leads and put the sensor into that

simple took me 5 mins with my mates ones