Big_John

Rotten Corrado!! Help

Hiya all! I'm new to the forum never owned a Corrado before but I have recently come across one. Basically I've driven past it on my way to work every morning for last 3 years. The poor old thing has never moved. On Saturday my other have forced me to stop and knock on his door ( she's good like that). Any way he wants 600 quid for it. The cars not moved in 3 years due to him having his spine fused after an accident. Been and had another look at it tonight. She's pretty rotten! Boot floors gone rear panels gone and lower rear wheel arches te sections behind the rear bumper. It's pretty low miles 107k got magnex exhaust, koni adjustables etc etc it's satin silver. Whts people's thoughts? Worth saving? I am a mechanic BTW

Cheers! Let me know asap!!

I'd say it's worth saving. But only if your welding it yourself. It's strange that the areas you mention are usually not places that rust badly. Begs the question what the usual areas are like. Front of sill, top of the windscreen frame. I assume it is just 16v or even an 8v. Both the Vr6 and G60's would command 600 in just the engine and running gear.

A car that's been sat outside for 3 years will need a fair bit of recommissioning, satin silver will be a bitch to match once the welding is finnished

It's a vr6 mate obd 2. Only runs on 5 so best case coil pack worst case no compression. I couldn't get my hand in to unplug crank sensor or coil pack so I could spin it over with out it firing to have a listen to tho

It's a vr6 mate obd 2. Only runs on 5 so best case coil pack worst case no compression. I couldn't get my hand in to unplug crank sensor or coil pack so I could spin it over with out it firing to have a listen to tho

UK Corrado VR6s were OBD1, both dizzy and coilpack. The miss is a good bargaining tool though!

It'll need tyres, brakes etc. It sounds like you've made your mind up :)

imo all depends on how much its going to cost to put the body right and if your prepared to pay that, obviously mechanics for you isn't a problem, prices on vr6's at the moment seem to be on the up from 2k up to 5k depending on condition , if its going to cost 2k to sort out the the body and you can get it for £600 and then another £500 on servicing items etc then it probably will be worth it ...

Wonder how such a low mileage car got so rotten? Corrado's are normally pretty damn solid on the underside so I'm surprised to hear it's so rotted out!

Really if it's as rotten as it sounds, it's probably not worth saving - as the cost to rectify all that rot, plus paintwork, plus any recomissioning work needed to get it back on the road (which could be extensive) could be quite substantial. May only really be worth it if it had some nice options (leather, air conditioning) and a comprehensive history.

As others have said, give him a lowball offer and go from there? Values for these cars only seem to be going one way so if you did invest the time and money over a couple of years, you could at least stand to get your money back eventually - better than having it languishing in the bank :)

That what I would do it you have time and space. By the sounds of it the body is too far gone, I have a hatred of rust as its very hard to completely get rid off and unless properly removed it will come back. If you find another at least you would have a heap of spares.