Sign in to follow this  
polog40racer

Help! My Corrado G60 is smoking!!!!!

Just been out in my G60 for the first time since rebuilding it with a new charger, and on returning home and pulling into my driveway, I could smell burning. :shock:

Pulled the bonnet open, and smoke is pouring from it, checked all hoses, etc oil leaks, and fuel leaks etc, but they were all fine. Looked under neath the car at the exhaust and its is smoking good and proper from the CAT and also out of the tailpipe. :shock: Its a whitey/grey smoke pouring from it (engine is switched off), and saw no smoking when it was actually driving along.

Didn't have any warning lights in dash, temp was normal. And its just had its MOT this morning, which it passed.

Is the CAT dead??? Its a '92 K plate so unfortunatly cant get away with a cat bypass.

The car blew its charger up last september and since then ive run the car without the charger fitted on a bypass belt until May when it went off the road. A new charger was bought from Jabbasport, inc new oil pressure lines etc and the car has just been rebuilt and MOT'd which it passed. But with advice on the exhaust, being it is blowing slightly on mid and rear sections but that is all.

This was also the cars first maiden journey, did about 20miles in it, got petrol then when it was up to oil temp etc, booted it a bit, car was really really quick compared to what it was before the charger blew (car was standard) and now its got a new Stage 2 Jabba G60 charger and induction kit fitted. No strange noises from anywhere, just smoke from the exhaust, as though its on fire (but couldn't see flames). It did have an massive oil leak when it was idled for the first time last week and oil went all over the gearbox etc but this has since been fixed and cleaned up and MOT guy didn't say anything.

Anyone any idea at all, at what it the problem?? Could it be the CAT gone since its not been used for a month or so, and also not run with a charger for about 10months.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I dont have to use the car for a few weeks anyway as I can use my other cars to get around in. This has really annoyed me, as ive just decided to keep her aswell.

Thanks everyone

Paul

has your water level dropped?

any loss in performance before the smoke?

any chance the oil could have leaked into the exhaust as that would probably cause the smoke when you had stopped as the cat was still hot?

the extra oomph from the new charger could have helped blow an allready poorly headgasket.

Water level is fine. It was the first time the car was driven since the rebuild, and was seriously quick! Its not headgasket, checked that. Its a burning type of smoke.

Like I said, I checked all pipes, levels, leaks and warning lights etc, and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I did think about the oil could have leaked onto the exhaust (but it dont smell oily) but I found its wierd that its coming out fo the end of the tailpipe too. So guessed the new charger and new performance has knackered the CAT, burnt it out of collasped it maybe?? And the smoke around from the CAT could be if it was blowing then its burning contents maybe smoking out of it anyway.

I did think it would fail the MOT on the exhaust, but it didn't asnd just got a advice on it but could be a contibuting factor?

Take the boost return pipe and silencer boxof and have a look in the charger, maybe it has blown a seal out? If it has Jabba should sort it for you.

it might just be the running in of the charger, I had my charger rebult by jabba, and was told not to rev too high or race the car. On the first day back I had a young kid in a nova SR, and was really pi**ing me off, so i just had to floor it, and got the same white smoke. I worried for a while, infact a week, until all was fine again.

Charger is fine. Could be just the running in of the charger, but my G40 never did this, so im doubting this. And we run the race cars without even running the newly rebuilt chargers in aswell and they never smoke like crazy!

Im still thinking the CAT is knackered though. Does anyone know what the symtoms are for a knackered CAT, be it Collapsed, burnt up or seriously f :shock: ked?

Thanks.

I have made one glow bright red once trying to get home on 3 cylinders on my old Astra GTE 16V, which made a lovely mess of the head. I think they also smell of rottern eggs!!

Yup they stink good an proper, but not always, if the cat had collapsed tho you probably wouldnt have the performance you say have :cry:

take the cat off and have a look inside it should be a a nice even honey comb pattern, put it up to the light and you should be able to see all the way through if there any melted looking patches or loose bits its fooked :( a cheap way to de-cat is smashing out the old ceramic with a big metal bar 8)

Cheers guys for your replys.

I'll have to remove the exhaust and CAT and see whats what then. I thinking its not collapsed because of no loss of performance but something is amiss with it and the engine is running fine.

Though I think a decat (removeable for MOTs) and custom exhaust is on the cards. For the corrado, you keep the original size pipe bore dont you? As the original is very good, isn't it?

Id not been in another Corrado G60 before I originally brought mine as standard with an unserviced charger, I didn't feel very quick at all compared to my Polo (even a nearly standard one) and other people who drove it said the same and we put it down to it being a heavy car. But now its got this new charger on it, it feels alot quicker so I guess the car was seriously down on power when I bought it.

Cheers all.

Paul