Too Tall

temp sensor?

The send unit to the temp gauge quit working, installed a new sensor, still doesn't register. I'm still trying to figure out if it's the gauge it's self or something in the wiring, I'm going to try grounding out the contacts and see if the gauge moves. But I need to be able to drive the car until I can figure out what the hell is going on. Is not having that sensor working going to cause the engine harm? The fan still comes on when I'm at a stop light. Also, how hot does the intake manifold usually get after driving, cars been in the garage with the hood open for an hour and it's still hot enough I can't leave my hand on it long.

8V, 16V, G60, VR6, R32 engine, 1.8T.........

What was the colour of the sender you changed?

I think that the sensor you have changed is a replacement for the yellow four pin which, if I remember correctly, controls the fan after run and the auxiliary water pump after run. Im pretty sure the sensor you need for the temp gauge is the blue (originally) two pin unit in the thermostat housing. Not sure what colour it is now though. Correct me if Im wrong anybody.

Does your car have air con? The yellow is the dash temp sensor, blue is usually a 2 pin for ecu unless you have air con

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah I have 3, the blue 4-pin is the equivalent to the yellow one that you guys are talking about, the blue 2 pin is for the ECU because my car started acting funny when I unplugged it while it was running, and the air-con is the brown one. I had a friend come over and sit in the car while it was running and I unplugged the blue / yellow plug and grounded out the pins to see if the gauge would move and it didn't. So I'm thinking either the gauge is busted or there's something in the wiring gone bad.

I stand corrected on my previous comment, thanks swiftkid for clearing it up! I don't suppose you know what the black two pin sensor is for? Mine doesn't have air con so no brown plug. I thought that the black was for the 3rd stage fan but after bridging the contacts nothing happens? Ive been following the advice on the definitive cooling guide and found a blown fuse but still nothing from the black sensor? Im wondering if its a blank?

Black sensor is definitely stage 3 fan. But the wiring shouldn't come from the rest of the engine loom, it runs on its own so won't go through that big plug on side of engine bay. Have you got ignition on whilst bridging?

The blue is only for cold start so once it's up to temp should switch over the maf and lambda, at least I think so.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers. So, does it have its own relay? I had the ignition on whilst bridging it, just wondering if maybe there may be a dodgy relay or something? I was thinking of running a couple a cables through to the dash of the black sensor wiring for a switch I can turn on manually. Is that the best thing to do?

The fan is controlled by the fan control module in the right hand side of the bay. For third speed, one wire goes directly there (T10/5 black & white wire) , the other goes to the fusebox (I believe the jumper box above), should be a black and yellow wire. People do run switches on the dash, I had one in my old corrado but personally I'd want to get to the bottom of it.

Just fyi, your temp gauge is pins 2 & 4, then goes through the large plug on side of head (T42/4) then onto G2/1 into the fusebox. Have you double checked the plug behind your clocks is plugged in fully?

It was working before, but I accidentally hooked up the AC control plug and the engine temp plug backwards, after that the temp gauge refuse to work. The AC doesn't work at all in my car so I'm not worried about that.