chur1996

Slightly bizarre ignition cut-out

I've had my VR6 for about three weeks now and love it, but had a rather strange incident which I could use some advice on.

Yesterday evening I got in the car to go out, turned the ignition over (not at all sluggish, no problem) after a couple of seconds of turning over it suddenly cut out and all the electrics died. No readings on the dash, no lights, nothing at all when I tried to turn the car over again.

I initially thought it may be a blown fuse somewhere, I had been to Manchester and back that morning (90 mile round trip roughly) so the battery hadn't been drained through standing for several days etc.

On the off chance, about half an hour later I tried jump starting the car using my good lady's car, and it fired up straightaway. This morning when going to work, it started up fine.

Is this a common fault with Corrados? It's a '94 model by the way.

Thanks in advance....

Or ignition switch. If it happens again, try moving the key whilst it turned to see if it catches. If so, a new one from VW is £35. I wouldn't bother with a cheaper alternative, I used a meyle one first and it did similar from new, albeit not as bad as the old original.