danielmjpyle

Revs up and down

My first check would be the sensor that goes to the ECU. If this is old , faulty , it will be sending mixed messages to the ECU ,to much air , back to to the right amount , hence the higher idle and back down again . Also check all hoses for splits and holes . I would clean the ISV too .

I had a similar thing and when I drove the car and came to a stop I.e dipped the clutch the revs would not come down. Turned out to be the ISV - I was told by Brian at Jabba that they shouldn't really need cleaning and not to do it really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your replies

Ive fitted a new ISV.

When you say the sensor that goes to the ecu do you mean the one on the side of the throttle body?

Thanks

There are three temp senders in the block , I think it's the blue one . On cold start up it sends a signal to the ECU , telling it it's cold , so more air goes in to make it idle faster . If this sender is faulty it may produce the systems in your video .

Edited by robrado974

rob is right - it's the blue one for water temp - you get a fast idle when it's cold and once a little warm idles normally, think they're still available from VW. Just remember to get the old O-Ring out when you change it and a smear of silicone grease on the new one and you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you connect the car to a Vagcom it will tell you if the sender is faulty , s faulty sender can cause all sorts of problems , I had a cold start problem , the sender was reading 74d all the time .,

I have replaced all three sensors already.

Yes worth a check with vagcom. Aparantly i need an adapter plug for the rado as its a different plug. Is there somewhere online i can order it from/does it have a specific name?

Cheers

Someone more knowledgable will be able to answer the question of the leads . If you have changed the senders , have a look at the connection plugs and wiring just to be sure . Did you look st the vac hoses for splits ?.

Also while removing the hoses i looked down the back of the block and noticed a sensor with a few wires attached on the exhaust manifold..some of these wires look a bit suspect..could this be a cause?

Thats for the lambda on the rear engine mount bracket. Its a possibility for sure.

The two plugs behind the gear lever are your OBD1 sockets. You can get an adapter off of ebay for literally a couple of quid to convert to obd2, so fault codes can be read. Its a little basic being OBD1, but will still make life a lot easier.

Just ordered one thanks! Ok ill get in and have a better look at the wireing on the lambda sansor...looked like at least one of the wires was broken and exposed. Just ordered a new throttle position sensor while im at it too...

Thanks