Bfstrachan

Under bonnet sound proofing removing glue?

I have got the old foam off but struggling to get the thick layer of glue off. Is there a tried and tested way to get that stuff off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanket to cover engine bay... Garden sprayer full of white spirit. Leave on for about 5 - 10 mins, scrap with old barclaycard or similar... Messy job. Then polish.

Don't water the plants with white spirit after.

this is the issue every corrado owner has, truthfully their are lots of methods, all require a **** load of elbow grease, i used paint thinners in the end, and brake cleaner, and then just a shed load of muscle and hard work, stick at it, you'll get there. good luck!

this is the issue every corrado owner has, truthfully their are lots of methods, all require a **** load of elbow grease, i used paint thinners in the end, and brake cleaner, and then just a shed load of muscle and hard work, stick at it, you'll get there. good luck!

Wow.. Brake cleaner.... That's nasty stuff. Not sure I'd use it on my paint work. Brakes only...

Blanket to cover engine bay... Garden sprayer full of white spirit. Leave on for about 5 - 10 mins, scrap with old barclaycard or similar... Messy job. Then polish.

Don't water the plants with white spirit after.

Does turpentine do the same job or is petrol based better?

at this point i was getting FED UP! and grapping any chemical. Took some paint of the silicone used to hold the structural under side in place, but other than that the combo worked well. DO NOT mix chemical though obviously, only use separately.

Does turpentine do the same job or is petrol based better?

No idea... Try a small amount and see...

Thanks for the tips gentlemen - will get stuck in soon! Just need to get my headliner sorted out first! Does the Corrado to-do-list ever stop growing????

Thanks for the tips gentlemen - will get stuck in soon! Just need to get my headliner sorted out first! Does the Corrado to-do-list ever stop growing????

Enjoy... Only when the money runs out :)

I would recommend you go to a good motor factor or trade valeting supplier like Autosmart and get 5 litre can of tar and glue remover. This will break down the glue without damage to the paint, and you won't need ---- loads of elbow grease

Edited by 16VG60

I would recommend you go to a good motor factor or trade valeting supplier like Autosmart and get 5 litre can of tar and glue remover. This will break down the glue without damage to the paint, and you won't need ---- loads of elbow grease

Agree John, that is what I used - Took about 3 hours from start to finish including polishing the paintwork afterwards!

Ian.

Probably best not to use petrol based solvents, very volatile and flammable and will make you feel ill. Obviously use any solvent in a well-ventilated place. I found white spirit to be a good and easily applied solvent, together with a rigid plastic scraper. Brake cleaner will evaporate and disappear too quickly as a main solvent, but is excellent for the final wipedown.

The new self adhesive soundproofing really will stick like the proverbial; you get only one chance to put it in the right place, so take care

Exactly what I used or get some "panel wipe" solvent based rather than water based

I used bodyshop adhesive remover and got all mine off with half a litre and took maybe 2hrs tops. Just keep wiping it on and it goes soft and just falls off when scraping.

Get proper bodyshop trade chemicals rather than marketed halfords rubbish. Forget thinners and white spirit. Thinners has acetone in it normally and will start to take the paint off and you'll be there all day with white spirit

Edited by Joe3954

Exactly what I used or get some "panel wipe" solvent based rather than water based

I used bodyshop adhesive remover and got all mine off with half a litre and took maybe 2hrs tops. Just keep wiping it on and it goes soft and just falls off when scraping.

Get proper bodyshop trade chemicals rather than marketed halfords rubbish. Forget thinners and white spirit. Thinners has acetone in it normally and will start to take the paint off and you'll be there all day with white spirit

Thanks, this does make a lot more sense. I was getting a little worried at the thought of dowsing in white spirit. Will look out for some proper adhesive remover.

Thanks for all the pointers - does get a little confusing when there are a few tried and tested approaches to it...

Pleasure to help. When I saw thinners on the suggestion list, I had to say something to prevent you having to find a bodyshop to repaint your glue less and paint less panel

http://www.johnmitchellracing.co.uk

Many thanks - ordered the autosmart tardis stuff and on its way :)

Just a little update and photo. The autosmart stuff worked a treat and after a couple hours graft the bonnet was clean of the adhesive! Got the rust spots rubbed down, treated and painted. Now all good :)1a38d9fc41335cb3622e514a089e8c99.jpg

I got a chap to make up the new stickers for under the bonnet. They are a cracking job. I think he is on the suppliers forum....

What stickers would that be then... please tell!