Rado87

Front bumper fitting help.

After a long engine rebuild its time to refit the front end. I've managed the slam panel and head lights but need some tips on securing the front bumper. I've pushed it on over the locating lugs under the wings but can't remember how to secure it. Does it fix in behind the fog light clusters?

It secures using 2 long bolts through the front engine cradle, the one which the front engine mount is on. There are three bolts either side of it, the two outer bolts secure the cradle, the middle bolt is used to secure the front bumper. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that mate. Would you say the front splitter needs putting on before I fit the bumper? From memory there was a long metal strip that clips in somewhere!! Lol! Although it was pretty shot so may have to buy another.

Splitter should stay on bumper, but i think you want to fit the metal bar afterwards as the bolts fit to the rad support iirc

The 2 OUTER bolts on each side i.e. front and back, hold the bumper brackets and the crossmember onto the car. The inner/middle bolt each side locates just the crossmember, not the bumper irons, but do not rely on them alone to support the front of the engine. Prop the weight if the main bolts are out, and most definitely do not drive the car or you will have a major incident.

ok, so after reading your comments and struggling to understand what I need to do, it looks as though I've managed to remove the bumper without taking the big metal crossmember off too, which is looking like what I should of done! When I took it off I seem to remember two screws holding the actual bumper to the metal structure behind, one screw behind each fog light.

I don't know how you could have removed it leaving the support brackets in the chassis legs. Sounds impossible but well done.

I think it will be easier to take the legs out, rebolt them to the front piece and then refit the whole item

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by Cressa
Spelling

[ATTACH]83688[/ATTACH][ATTACH]83689[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I don't know how i managed it either! Thanks for the pics, very helpful. Im starting to think that in the past the bumper had been ripped off either in an accident or with brute force as Im certain that it was held in place with some screws behind the foglight clusters!! As if it had been slid in to place over the locating lugs under the wings and just screwed back! Im going to head over to the unit later and look a bit deeper! Thanks again to everyone!

It sounds like those screws could be non standard. Bumper is held to the bar by 10 or so plastic push fit widgets which can get damaged over time