Chuggs1

Non Corrado - biut advice needed - oil light on

OK - girlfriend has just called me she is on M5 on the way to Liverpool - her oil lighgt has come on on a 2006 beetle 1.8t - ive told her to get off motorway buyt some oil - let it cool down and let oil level level out for 10 mins and check her levels - then top up if needed and if oil light goes off then all ok - does that sound like good advice? thanks

Sounds about right. Tell her to check for any leaks, and see what the level is at first, just in case it's anything more serious.

Thanks Sean - will do..... just waiting for a call back - she had 3 miles to get off motorway so hopefully she is off now - don't want to be driving with oil light on. I told her to get the train lol...not saying that to her mind!!!!

Hope she sorts it... She can have a pat on the back for noting the light... I known someone that would of never noticed it and would of carried on until the car went bang...

Check levels and for leaks underneath first.

Indeed and fair comment - its good job it wasn't a noise as she has stereo on full blast and wouldn't have even heard a "bang" lol

She is now parked up and waiting to watch for any leaks and then check levels - touching wood! Not cotton! lol

She is now parked up and waiting to watch for any leaks and then check levels - touching wood! Not cotton! lol

Keep us posted.

Will do..... hope it's OK she loves her car more than me if that's possible

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Theres a switch on the bonnet catch, make sure the bonnet is closed.

Red light and audable warning for oil pressure.

Amber light for bonnet open and oil level sensor in the sump

She didn't mention any audible - but hey stereo would have been on - will check if it was amber or red..... anyhows - light is off now and she is back on her way so hopefully all is ok - will let you know more - thanks for all the advice and concern - love this forum

Out of interest - is it same amber light for both bonnet and oil? which is worse red or amber? if its level in the sump does that mean oil is extremely low (being sump)

Red is danger, so priority is stop!

Audible warning is loud and makes you **** yourself when driving!

Anber oil light makes you check the oil and shut the bonnet properly, genuine low oil would take .75l to get back to a mid point reading on the dip stick

probably best to go through the owners manual as all the info for the dash symbols and colours will be there, that's if she still has the owners manual..

All is OK arrived in Liverpool fine and light did not come back on.... Amber by the way..... thanks again

All is OK arrived in Liverpool fine and light did not come back on.... Amber by the way..... thanks again

Glad it turned out fine.