Gjlaw1

Newbie near Northampton with a wreck of a 16v

Hi - quick note to say hi - I've just joined - I've got a 16v in need of some serious love - it's not been used in 10 years!! - if I can figure out how to post pictures I'll start a thread to show progress of my mission hopefully ending with it running/driving!!

Thanks

Gareth

hello and welcome along - plenty of people on here with the knowledge to help you get going...

Many people upload photos to another website and copy in the link I think, personally, I prefer using the tapatalk app, find the Corrado Forum on it and sign in, then you can get pictures up really easily!

Hope that helps and look forward to seeing the progress...

Hi Gareth, I'm probably not far from you in Wootton with a 16v, give us a shout if you want a second pair of eyes on anything, I know the 16v pretty well, having owned one for 20 years :)

Thanks David - you're not far at all (I'm in Grendon).... Let me know if you are passing close-by any time. All advice welcomed!!

I've yet to get it to turn over (got distracted with a door lock mechanism then later a bucket and sponge!)....the engine really is in a bad way!

[ATTACH]83727[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Gareth I'm from Irthlingborough and bout to remove my 16v engine from my rado if u need any engine related parts

Yes please - I think I need everything (see earlier picture of what I'm faced with!)

I'll pm you my contact details... Cheers Gareth

Yikes! That engine bay isn't pretty! The fuel lines, etc are the most corroded I think I've ever seen, but hopefully it is all just surface corrosion and you can get it running easily enough.

If the picture is a guide wonder what the rest of the car is like. What are your intentions with it, and should be a good one to follow.

Well it's going to be challenging! I'm no mechanic but like tinkering - I'm discovering and learning as I go.

My Intention/dream is to get it to run/drive - it's been ignored for 10 years and it feels like it deserves to live - I'm a sucker for a charity case!

Keen to keep it original so will be seeking many standard parts! Callipers seems like a good place to start, anyone got any left overs of any standard parts I could use?

e29586826cb7b4df4b1092f48f9ed4e9.jpg

Still haven't got it turn over - do they all have the led in the dash (below) or does this confirm it has an alarm/immobiliser that may be stopping it from turning.

201dd74afdd820508997645816aa04f1.jpg

Cheers all....

LED is likely to be alarm or immobiliser. If I don't start my car within about 30 seconds, my LED flashes again as it resets the immobiliser.

All credit to you for even attempting to restore. For experience it is likely that the old alarm is knackered and would be best removed.

if you've got problem with alarm there's a valet mode you can switch off that will let you start car better.my switch was located at side of drivers seat on tunnel, have heard some put them under gear stick cover. hope this helps

Good news, bad news and a bit more bad news.....found the 'hidden' key/switch for the alarm (thanks for the tip to hint it out) - bad news it was already switched off so not the cause of the starter not turning......

Anyone know where I can get a battery tray from ? VWheritage are out of stock.....

4c572def61e5d89ef0e5e97d78a11757.jpg

I have a mk2 golf one and a corrado one (not sure which one I'm going to use yet) so will have one of them up for grabs but I just need to get round to it. The mk2 golf one is pretty much identical though except it doesn't have the section that goes back to the bulkhead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Edd - the mk2 one would be great (if available) it's just the front section that I'm looking to cut out/replace.... Let me know if it's up for grabs, how much etc.... Cheers Gareth

Will do. It won't be for a few months though so be warned....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks - I may get to that job on the list a bit sooner, although it is a very long list!!

Cheers

Hi Sam - well I've been busy.....

Starter motor on, new fuel pump fitted, resistor from a Passat sender utilised!, inlet manifold, fuel lines, air intake bit, distributor, leads etc all swapped over from your old engine...fuel pump relay swapped (now clicks and fuel pump primes).

Engine turns on the starter motor, has a spark but no fuel is getting up to the engine - disconnected the fuel line from the pump and turned ignition on - petrol is drawn up/comes out but not getting from the rear of the car to the front!! Am I right in thinking there is a fuel filter underneath that may be bunged up?

Again, any advice welcomed!!cannot wait to get the engine running!

Cheers Gareth

Yep - there is an in-line fuel filter under the car. Could very well be a blocked, mummified piece of crap under there if it's never been touched so I'd be looking there next :)

Thanks - anyone know what the bit below on the left is (round, brown and crusty which to be fair is pretty much everything!) plus the black square box thingy? Looks like fuel lines go into it so keen to replace.... Anyone got one? Cheers gareth 130320dddfdb6292bf6d858c029304ef.jpg

Guest sam1990rhodes

thats the inline fuel pump