Gjlaw1

Will it ever run or drive again......

Hi - I've got a 16v 1994 that hasn't been used for 10 years and I'm on a mission...

It's in a pretty dire state (as you would expect) - although probably not the sensible thing to do, I'm determined she should live on.....

Engine bay is a mess, interior mouldy, paintwork flat as pancake etc.... But something tells me it's worth a go...

I don't seem to be able to load photos using an iPad but I'd love to get some up here so people can see her now in hopefully what will be a start of a journey, ultimately ending with her running and driving.

So far, I've blown most of the 10 years worth of dust and debree of her and from inside the engine - not sure if the engine will run again but I've taken plugs out and put a bit of oil in and charged a battery and that's about as far as I've got...

I'm not expecting much to work but hopefully get some useful advice as I tinker - I'm no mechanic (I've got some spanners, compressor, welder etc and I used to love my Tamiya super sabre radio controlled car but I'm 40 now and this car is a lot bigger!!)...

Will update on progress as I go... first thing, how do I upload photos as I'd love to share a picture of the engine! I've tried the photo manager and selected from photo library (iPad) but the spiny thing just goes round and doesn't 'grab' the photo?

Cheers..

Tapatalk app makes uploading pics from a phone easy.

I use photobucket to host pics.

You'll need to drain the old fuel off before filling with fresh stuff, probably best to change the filter too and check all pipework for leaks once pressured up.

Wow, sounds very interesting!

Loads of photos asap pleeze and how did it sit for 10 years?? Although mines been sitting since '09..

Hi - thanks I've downloaded tapatalk....

The previous owner lost interest in the car (family/life etc) and it sat in his garage gathering dust and seriously oxidising!

It's done 87k miles and 3 owners - unfortunately the previous owners wife threw all the paperwork, manual, history etc away so just the v5 and the shadow of the former car survived....

Would love to get it running again if I can - all help/advice appreciated - have now tried to turn it over but it's completely dead (no noise from starter motor) - lights work though - oil light flashing (although there is oil)....

[ATTACH]83702[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]83703[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]83704[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The battery will be of no use after 10 years dormant, it may power up the dash lights, but cranking the starter takes a large amount of power (current).

If you put a spanner on the crank pulley will the engine rotate?

Thanks - I had a spare (newish) battery lying around that I charged up and tried (the old battery was toast) - I've not tried the crank pulley (yet) - will try and locate it today (if it's easy to get to)....

Or put the car in first gear, jack up one front wheel and use that to turn over the engine, plugs out make this easier.

Looks tidy body wise?

I notice it has an alarm? Does it have an immobiliser too? That may be stopping you cranking over the engine?

Body is remarkable good - few small areas will need attention (battery tray, corner of rear windscreen and where some lump looks to have sat on the bonnet).... I'll try the jack/wheel off thing to see if the engine turns (thanks) - I hadn't realised it had an alarm (I don't just a fob or anything other than 2 keys) someone to investigate! Cheers....

Hi there, mines in a similar condition, its been sat around for about 10 years now too. Family and life get in the way. But like you I'm determined to get her back on the road. Mines also a 2.0 16v, so will be looking at this post. Wishing you bets of luck mate with yours.

Massive step forward today - got the engine to turn over with the starter motor!

Next issue is no fuel is getting to the engine!! Every time I turn the key, the fuel pump fuse blows 🤔

Appreciate any advice on where best to start the next phase of investigations....

Cheers

Gareth

The pump is probably seized, disconnect the wiring to the pump and try the starter, if the fuse doesn't blow with the wiring open circuit that points towards the pump being seized.

Great thanks - just tried that and the fuse didn't blow! - sounds like a pump issue - time to investigate how to get the pump out! As always, any passing advice appreciated! Cheers

Main pump, press. regulator, rusted fuel pipes, totally rusted on unions..

I think your gonna be in for a bit of fun mate.. Soak everything with WD-40 a couple of days before starting to remove the pump. Also remove the intank lift pump because god knows what's in the bottom

of the tank. The lifter pump is probably buggered too so get a spare one, new fuel filter would benifit too.

Clean the small filter located inside the fuel meter inlet union (if it's still there) clean the inlet funnel, pull the mechanical injectors and try and get them cleaned.

Maybe then the mill might run but judging by the photos of the car..your in for a big job.

I just saw the engine on photobuket..christ, i thought the one i bought 10 years ago was bad.. I reckon your gonna have to remove the entire injection system to get a running engine, the meter head is probably stuck with old fuel deposits, buy a can of Cyclo carb cleaner (VERY good) and get cracking mate.

Edited by VEEDUBBED

Many thanks for the advice - I think you are right, it's going to be a slow methodical process hopefully aided by all you experts (I'm willing, but learning as I go) - I've pulled out the fuel pump (photo below hopefully) - have cleaned what I can but I think the motor is frazzled..... Anyone got a spare complete unit I ca drop in? Cheers

c15bbe9f3b3169b3befe114857c8deb2.jpg