Sign in to follow this  
Blair

Airbox snorkel on a G60 - how exactly do you remove it?

I had a look at this yesterday after James (Renshaw) told me it was worth doing.

I got the lower half of the airbox out of the car but just could NOT get the snorkel out of it - not by brute force, anyway!

How does it come out?

Cheers!

I tried the brute force approach - even with the use of a hammer to try and tap it out, it would not budge!

on the inside of the bottom half of the airbox you should be able to see some tags around the outside of the tube try bending these out of the way a bit which might help.

it did take a lot of force to get mine out (nearly gave myself a nose bleed when it finally released and smacked me in the face) try prying it out from the outside lip of the tube if the above wont work .

Yeah, people keep going on about how great it sounds so I wanted to find out for myself :)

Although it DOES remove quite a restriction from the airbox, so it might have other benefits (but then of course you risk sucking in warm air from the engine bay instead of cool air from outside...)

I have no idea as I haven't heard it yet. That's why I'm asking people for help in how to get the damned thing out of there.

But I would imagine the 'charger would make a difference to the induction noise, as it's basically sucking air from the airbox about 6 inches away...

If it's the same as the 16v it should pull out towards the front of the car but I didn't know that when I removed mine and continued to break one of the tabs underneath. If you break something when removing it you'll say 'so that's how it comes out', bit late now you've bust it :roll:

Sounds about right Dave. It LOOKS like it should just pull out towards the front of the car, but the b45tard refuses to budge!

Although it DOES remove quite a restriction from the airbox, so it might have other benefits

No benefits whatsoever, I'm afraid. Sound, yes, but ask JimsG60 how it did his head in, enough reason to stick the reso-thingy back in again. Without that hose it has been reported that you actually lose bottom-end torque and fuel economy goes down as well. It's in there for a reason :oops:

Tempest

it is quite loud with it removed, didnt notice any lack in bottom end when i removed mine, might put it in again just to see, mine just pulled straight out , was very tight though!! :D

Did it on my 16v and I didn't notice any lack in bottom end, it improved responsiveness very slightly and not much louder.