Ray1965

Identify Leaking Oil Pressure Sensor VR6 2.9

Had a quick look on the forum, not very clear tbh. One of my sensors seems to be leaking oil, (VR6 2.9 litre) from the black plastic part where the wire pushes on. It's the left hand side sensor as you look at it from the top of the engine bay. There is two different ones i gather a white high pressure sensor and a blue low pressure sensor? (not sure on this).

Can anyone please help with best place to source and part numbers.

This is a common issue and quite simply resolved by fitting new senders. Buy the replacement parts from your local TPS VW parts trade counter or VW dealer. These will be the best quality parts and avoid buying sub-standard spurious parts with dubious performance and service life.

You might also find it helpful to remove the sender(s) and quote the part numbers and pressure rates which are stamped on them. I had to do this recently as the parts guy at my local TPS couldn't identify them just by the colours as they had changed :)

Sack him! what sort of parts man is that? He has been given the reg number and all the database vehicle related info and in addition to that he has Etka parts catalogue to confirm the components, and still he couldn't locate the correct part without you giving him the part number! What is going on

May as well just replace them both as they're not expensive (ETKA saying about a tenner each). Part numbers are:

028 919 081D - low pressure switch (blue)

068 919 081 - high pressure switch (black)

ETKA also shows a replacement seal / washer for each - part number N 013 811 5.

According to the diagram the high pressure switch is on the left as you look at the engine / oil cooler housing from the front, and low pressure on the right.

Hey Jim, you fancy a job at Harriers TPS trade counter

I'm sure Jim would be better !

Haha :) I am only any good for Corrado parts though.. Might not be much good sorting parts for an EOS or a Passat :)

May as well just replace them both as they're not expensive (ETKA saying about a tenner each). Part numbers are:

028 919 081D - low pressure switch (blue)

068 919 081 - high pressure switch (black)

ETKA also shows a replacement seal / washer for each - part number N 013 811 5.

According to the diagram the high pressure switch is on the left as you look at the engine / oil cooler housing from the front, and low pressure on the right.

Cheers Jim & Mr16V , info is well appreciated .

Had a quick go getting them off earlier but ran out of day light. What size spanner is the large nut on the sensors? on top of the oil filter housing, it also looks a bit tight to get in to do the job, i hope it not strip half the car.

Not sure on the size and access is a pig unfortunately :( Will fire up the parts catalogue again in a bit and see if it states the size of the bolt head.

I found reaching down under the inlet manifold from the air box side yielded successful results without the need to remove any parts.

Not sure on the size and access is a pig unfortunately :( Will fire up the parts catalogue again in a bit and see if it states the size of the bolt head.

I found reaching down under the inlet manifold from the air box side yielded successful results without the need to remove any parts.

Looks like my nearest TPS is in chesterfield i'll give em a ring tomorrow. Thanks again Jim for your help. :thumbleft:

Cheers Jim & Mr16V , info is well appreciated .

Had a quick go getting them off earlier but ran out of day light. What size spanner is the large nut on the sensors? on top of the oil filter housing, it also looks a bit tight to get in to do the job, i hope it not strip half the car.

hi, done this recently, all you need is a 24mm deep socket,flexible joint and long bar,you can get in from above will take you about 1/2 an hour.hope this helps

I've got a new genuine blue one available Ray.

Hi Chris blue one is the right hand side one then (Low pressure). You got a price in mind, i'll phone TPS for the black high pressure today.

hi, done this recently, all you need is a 24mm deep socket,flexible joint and long bar,you can get in from above will take you about 1/2 an hour.hope this helps

Cheers for the info thats sounds like a better plan :)

I tend to muddle along with what tools I have - never occurred to just buy an extension and go in from above but that does sound a bit more sensible :)

Works a treat as well, long bar with UJ knuckle joint on the deep reach socket which is 24mm. Left the sensor in for now, pick new part from TPS then will fit it later this week.:thumbleft::cool: