Rich the Chef

Going to swear now! Radiator plastic/elbow.

I've just gone to fit the elbow I recently bought and notice both threaded nuts on the radiator are sitting proud of the plastic casting. Preventing the elbow to seat correctly and make a seal. Also the short bolts fixing is split meaning it just turns in its casting...

Does this mean my rads had it?

Help!

Can the captive nuts in the radiator be 'tapped' back down? You could thread lock the bolt in place but I doubt you will be able to torque it up enough to seal. You might need a new radiator I'm afraid unless anyone else comes along with a solution.

I had a similar problem pal. I put about half a roll of PTFE tape round the elbow and its never leaked once . might be worth a shot before buying a new rad ?

Sent from my LG-H635 using Tapatalk

happened on my VR, I gasket sealed the metal fixing back into the plastic surround and clamped it until it dried, then gasket sealed the flange onto the radiator and screwed it as tight as I dared. The gasket seal kept it water tight and it didn't leak but looked awful! for the R32 build I purchased a new all aluminium radiator with the flange bit built in so hopefully this wont happen again! best of luck with the fix dude

Thanks guys. I got the nuts back in where they should be. Seems there was a previous bodge stopping them seating. I got the parts fitted and seems to be tightened up enough to seal it... I ran the engine for about 10 minutes and no sign of a leak.... Hope I got lucky....