Daveproyoyoyo

Corrado is making horrible noises, any ideas?

Hello chaps.

Time to play the fun game of guess that worrying noise and this is the first of 2 noises that I have noticed the Corrado VR6 making.

This noise I reckon is best described as a clatter/rattle/chirp sort of noise. It seems to be from the passenger side front and is a whole lot worse when going over pot holes and bumps in the road although the chirp part of it can sometimes be heard when stationary and revving the engine but only a little bit. In this video I drove along side a long brick wall in Neutral so the noise is reflected off of that brick wall. I've had a mate say it could be front wishbone rear bush but not really sure.

And below is the video for the second noise. This noise is a sort of bang/knocking noise that can be heard only on acceleration. It doesn't have to be hard acceleration. It sounds like its coming from right in front of the drivers seat in the engine bay. It seems to be worst and most noticable when tapping the throttle in first and second gear.

Any help would be most appreciated. You can hear the noise better through tinny phone speakers than through good PC ones as the bass gets in the way a lot.

First one sounds like a loose heatshield possibly? Hard to tell.

Second one - sounds fairly hefty! Engine mount? Park the car, open the bonnet, handbrake on as tight as you can (knowing Corrado rear calipers, not always easy!) and put it into first and gradually lift up the clutch into the biting point and see how much the engine is moving?

Oh I should have mentioned that I just changed front engine mount last week which cured another noise it was making. This banging was there before I changed it and is still there after :-(

Luckily the rado is a second car so I'll not drive it for a while until these things are fixed, just need to know what it actually is that's going. So I've just popped outside to see if I can get it to make the noise with the car stationary. If I put it in first and gently let the clutch up it doesn't make it but if I give it a few revs and let it up quite fast but only to the biting point it makes the bang. If I have just changed the front engine mount, what else could it be?

Edited by Daveproyoyoyo

It must be an engine mount given the kinds of noises and how they're occurring.

Brilliant thanks for the ideas. I'll go and check the rear later this evening. Is there anyway you guys know of to properly check a drive shaft or CV joint should the rear engine mount be okay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's two rear mounts - could be either. How did the car wind up with two duff engine mounts!?

Absolutely no idea, if anything I'd actually say I'm pretty light footed when it comes to my driving style. I guess just perished over time. I just need to find the time to check them both out or whether its the drive shafts and CV boot like Ray suggested. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll know what bits to order.

When i had a CV joint go, i drove round in both directions on full lock listening for knocking and clicking noises