Andystewart

Abs woes

Afternoon/ evening all.

Done some searching but not really had the exact answers I'm looking for, so...96 vr6 had it for about 6 months,and love it. Just recently the abs light flicks on and off when turning left, but only sightly turns, like a slight curve in the road, full lock =nothing. Now while searching for answers I've noticed (if I'm correct) that the light should come on when starting the car and go off!? Mine has never done this, these recent flickers are the first signs I've seen since having the car, and I've not really had any need to brake hard for the abs light to flash then either (I assume it should), I first put the flickers of light down to a possible bad connection but now I'm more concerned as things don't seem to add up now. Some clarification form someone and possible first port of call for diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The first thing I would do is check the fluid level , if it's low and your going round a corner it will dip reservoir and it will flash . Next point of call will be hooking it up to a vagcom , it's probably a sensor on one of the hubs . Your right , on ignition it should come on and go out a few seconds later .

OK will check levels, I did have the handbrake light on when the fluid was low a while back, didn't know the abs light would indicate this also? Will get a vag com check done. But should the light come on when the ignition is turned on and go out when started? Because mine doesn't. Mot is due soon so I would like to know what "should" be happening and then I know when something is wrong. Thanks

Yeah I'd say a connection problem to start. Pull the light unit out, you'll probably see it disconnected. Its probably been done to hide a fault though, so be prepared for further snags.

Check the fluids, and check the bulb first.

With ignition on the ABS, should be lit all the time. Soon as you start the car it should go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the fluids, and check the bulb first.

With ignition on the ABS, should be lit all the time. Soon as you start the car it should go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The light should still go off after a few seconds even when ignition on but car not running. The system does a self test as soon as it gets power, and should go off if it passes. If you push your foot down on the brake when you turn the ignition on, you'll feel it pulse as the valves inside the pump operate. If the light stays on, you can test the resistance of each sensor without removing the wheels, and you can visibly check the ABS ECU plug/pins as they often get water damaged. Other than that its best to get it scanned for faults using VCDS. Where are you located? Maybe someone close by can offer to help you out?

OK so..... found the solder joint on the bulb had gone, re soldered this and now light comes on and goes off, and doesn't seem to flicker while driving. Yay! But I tend to question things so, if it was just a simple solder connection, and the light was technically switching off (although unable to tell cause bulb wasn't connected properly) the why /how was the light flickering when slightly turning left?? The only way I can think of is the unit must have still been sending a fault signal, and the dodgy connection was just coincidentally connecting at that time? But why cant I get it to do it now when the joint is good and solid!?

Also.....when I pulled the light out of th dash it had 2 plugs in the back yet only the larger one connects to the circuit board with the bulb on, what's the other smaller one for?

Thanks again everyone.

Smaller one is for ESP on the US spec cars iirc, so not connected to UK models. If all seems well at the moment, just monitor it over the next few days to see if it re-appears. If it does, get it scanned as codes will be stored so you should be able to find out what is causing the problem.