robrado974

Paint bubbling by the windscreen seal.

When I had my respray , I had a new windscreen and new pillars as they were rotten . Over the past months I've noticed bubbling right on the edge of the outer seal at the top . Am I right in thinking that because it's bonded and has an inner seal it won't be letting water in ? . It was done by the dreaded auto windscreens , I didn't know about private fitting at the time . It took them three attempts to get it right !. As far as I'm aware as long as you still own the car the warranty remains . So if any damage or rust is present I know whose paying for the paint job !.I can't afford to get it painted ATM and I'm worried it's leaking and holding water . I don't have any condensation on the inside after rain or washing the car .

Any comments welcome chaps .

Kind regards,

Rob .

Trouble is Rob if they had a mare getting it in, they may have scratched the paint around the lip. It generally happens on removal when they cut it out. Then don't make good, but it's worth taking the outer trim off and seeing if the rust visibly extends further. It may be dry now, but the water sitting behind the trim will soon rot out the pillar again and water will work it's way in.

bad times dude...Mine was bubbling up there too and was caused by the previous windscreen that was fitted, they didn't run the sealant all the way across. Instead they just put big splodges of the stuff on so the water got in and just sat in between the splodges and eventually ate my paint away, it is on my build thread with the pictures (page 4 onto 5)

Can you take the outer rubber off from around the windscreen to get a better look inside to see if it is worse in certain places?

Edited by southerner88

Mmmmm, this does not sound good . The windscreen broke on removal when it went in for paint . It had so much bonding in it because of the rust , that it broke when they tried to get it out . As I said , new pillars were fitted and then it went in for paint . So the whole area was mint . What I don't won't to do is remove the outer strip and put it back after inspecting the area , for them to turn round and say it's been tampered with . I'm sure you know how these companies work , anything to get out of paying!. I'm thinking of ringing them to express my concern and they can come and take it out .

That sounds your best option if you are not too happy with removing the outer yourself. My outer wasn't sealed in so I am able to pull it out and put it back in if needed...

I was in a similar position to you though, I broke the screen removing it, sent it in for paint before getting the windscreen guys out. Auto Windscreens of Leeds turned up, and the one guy on his own fitted my screen with no issues at all - I did explain how complex the Corrado screen is to fit when I arranged it on the phone and they assured me I would get someone who had previously fitted into a Corrado.

As you will know act quickly on the bubbles as it gets nasty very quickly indeed!

I could not believe it when I picked it up. Me and a friend drove to bath in his Corrado to pick up the car. I looked at the windscreen and thought what the bleedin ell as gone on here!. The seal was completely wrong, it was some flappy thing that was not designed for the car , it was a joke . I had told them it was a three part system. They came out again when I got it home , the bloke walked up the drive and said , I've been given the wrong seal , I can tell just by looking at it . The third time after I had rung them and told them yet again it was fitted with the right seal . I can lift it from the top , it looks wet underneath.

bubbling does sound like rust im sorry to say, it wont be letting in water as the seal that's made is directly beneath the outside edge of the screen, exactly the same thing happened to me because I didn't fully remove the rust :( absolutely gutted!! , its hard to say whos at fault here , it might of been rust that was already there and wasn't fully removed in the prep stages of your respray, idd speak to the bodyshop that done the respray and see if they can sort something out..

Same again had a badly rotten a pillar from a badly removed previous screw, got it sorted and the auto windscreens manager form York insisted on coming himself because he wanted it to be fitted perfectly

Thanks for all the feedback chaps , it appreciated . Looking at the rust bubbles and from what Sean says , it could have been done when it was fitted . There's no way I can prove that now , it was way back , either that or poor prep and lack of paint on the lip . It really lets the car down in an otherwise lovely car .

seeing as you got nothing to loose idd pull the seal out and investigate further, thinking about it ,if theres paint damage which travels into the channel then in theory windscreen guys are to blame for not sealing it, if the paint isn't damaged then its more then likely rust that got painted over, if you have any further paint work done in the future and for anyone else getting paint done I would recommend using 2k epoxy primer first or get your bodyshop to use it! a lot of uk bodyshops don't know about it, they just stick to etch primer for bare metal priming as its what they know, epoxy primer is the only primer that's water proof , meaning if your top coat gets scratched then the coat of epoxy will keep the moisture off the metal, epoxy primer Is also hard as xxxx!! its worth checking out...

Good info . When I get round to sorting this out ,ie when funds allow , I will mention this . As far as I can tell there is no damage further down . It will be a windscreen out job for paint though , I won't know of any other damaged until it's taken out though.

Edited by robrado974