tonylam

Interesting problem - Ignition assembly

Heres a challenging one for you all.

Last night i went out to the car and .... Daamn. no start.

Not like last time though when it was an ECU thing. All the light come on. key turns as it did 20 mins earlier. but when turning to position 3 to start the car all the light go out. everything.

began to diagnose it today and initial options were

1. the immobiliser/Cobra Alarm

2. a fuse

3. the ignition switch

4. gremlins

Immobiliser/alarm checked out as OK

all fuses were good. even the starter 30amp big one

i tried my attention to the ignition and began running a test lamp from the connections at the back of the socket. when probing the red/black feed to the starter relay i turn the key.... no power.

Ahhhhh i think. i prob a little more just incase i don't have a connection and still no power. then whilst poking around in that connector i try again and the engine turns over and the engine bursts into life. ah ha..... its the ignition switch..... quick call to europarts and the replacement with is in my hands.

I get back to the car and try the new switch in the connector block. quick turn with a flat blade screwdriver and i feel like i am in 'gone in 60 seconds' and the corrode fires into life. Now for the disassembly of the steering column. aprox 1 hour later and the new switch is being screwed into place and the ignition assembly is refitted. Feeling well pleased with myself i decide to give is a quick test. Insert the key and ........ Nothing.... exactly the same as previous. agin..... nothing. again..... and still nothing. What The f.....

i take is apart again and remove the switch. i connect the block direct to the switch and turn to my screwdriver.... instant start up.....

I try with the old ignition switch and car is running like a good one. put is all back in the ignition assembly and .... nothing.

Its like the key isn't turning the last 3 degrees to create a circuit.

Any ideas? yes i know i can go out and buy another but really........ has anyone experienced this before and is there a fix??

Do you have a spare key to try? The key that came with mine stopped turning altogether one day, tried the spare and it was fine.

When the key is turned to start, try wiggling it a bit. Its usually a sign of faulty ignition switch but I've experienced the same with a new switch too. I think it may have been down to a worn key but not 100%

I bought a genuine new switch and that worked 100% for me. It wasn't that expensive either, but I'm sure you don't want that fiddly job again

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Update ..... I removed the barrel and the pin holding the, let's call it the ignition switch spigot. Now that it's all clearly visable I notice a bit of wear on the casting. I put the spigot into the switch and there is some play, probably 5 degree. A bit if fettling and that is reduced. And the switch is finally making contact at ignition. Result

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar problem and was just wondering if anyone thinks it's the same issue?

Essentially when I try to start the car, I click the ignition key across and all lights come on the dashboard and I can hear the file pump but when I turn it fully to start the engine, all dash lights go out, including lcd displays.

I had this issue a few months ago and replaced the battery and the starter motor and this seemed to resolve it but it's started happening again.

I can jump start the car using a portable battery pack, first time but as soon as I remove the pack, the issue occurs again :bonk:

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar problem and was just wondering if anyone thinks it's the same issue?

Essentially when I try to start the car, I click the ignition key across and all lights come on the dashboard and I can hear the file pump but when I turn it fully to start the engine, all dash lights go out, including lcd displays.

I had this issue a few months ago and replaced the battery and the starter motor and this seemed to resolve it but it's started happening again.

I can jump start the car using a portable battery pack, first time but as soon as I remove the pack, the issue occurs again :bonk:

This still sounds like a dead battery to me, though it's likely you have an earth/short somewhere causing the battery to drain.

This still sounds like a dead battery to me, though it's likely you have an earth/short somewhere causing the battery to drain.

Thanks - I'll get my voltage tester out and have a look but would the battery drain straight away? For example, I went on a 30+ minute drive at the weekend, when I got back home, I switched off the engine and tried to restart it and nothing!

I'd start with cleaning up the battery earth, but may be worth looking at the alternator and wiring if it dies straight after a drive. The ignition switch fault doesn't cause dash to go blank when attempting to start, and the fact it fires up on a jump start points toward some sort of power issue mate.

Sounds very much as if the alternator is not charging correctly. While you have the tester out check its output while the car is running. It should be round 14 volts.

cmalyan. as described, this was the same symptoms. I thought is was the battery, thought it was the immobiliser, the ecu.

Have you tried unplugging the ignition switch connector and trying it manually using a screwdriver. it was this that revealed the fault that i had.

Hope this helps

Tony