ozowen

CCGB - Why can't we fill shows

Before I start; please take no offence to this thread, I am gauging where this is not working. I have had Corrado's in my life since 1999 and not long after; I started paying the subscription to the CCGB site, if I'm honest it was so I could put my name down to attend shows (politics)and also help with the running of the site etc etc. But for some reason; and I don't know why as a club and Corrado enthusiasts we seem to use this (Corrado Forum) as our go to site; no bad thing as this is where we all hang out. To set the record straight I also pay into this forum to also help, hopefully the administrators, so they can do what they need to help keep this site going.

Anyhow, my point is this weekend there are 2 major events in the calendar "VW & Audi Track Day" at Castle Coombe and "VW Festival" at Harewood house. Eric Coolen has managed to get between the both 80 slots for Corrado's yet as I look on the CCGB Site tonight 13 cars have signed up.

So folks where are we going wrong (answers on a postcard or if you prefer an instant reply) I regularly attend Tatton Park, Stanford Hall, Bodelwyddan and Castle Coombe, and for the Northern shows as part of the VW Golf Mk2 Owners club which I'm also a paid member. These guys regularly get full stands and the atmosphere and togetherness is brilliant. I would like to show my car with fellow Corrado owners but; to take Tatton Park for example over the last 4 years the CCGB stand has been poorly attended and this year no stand, I presume because of the poor attendance we have lost it. Granted I always see at least 8 Corrado's within other groups but why are these not standing proud with the CCGB banner?

Our cars are becoming rare so wouldn't it be good if we could pool together and get the atmosphere back, imagine potential owners coming to a stand were there are 10+ members all willing to tell them about the joy of owning the forgotten VW..........might even push prices up.

Edited by ozowen

I only use this forum and not CCGB.

I go to most shows in Scotland and I am heading down to Leeds this weekend but only head to 1 English show a year as they are too far.

I used to organise the VW Golf mk1 owners club in Scotland but lots of effort for only a few cars, so I packed it in.

Instead I have a Retro VW Scotland page on Facebook and I use that for going to shows and organising stands. It's way easier and how most people communicate nowadays rather than on forums.

I only use this forum and not CCGB.

I go to most shows in Scotland and I am heading down to Leeds this weekend but only head to 1 English show a year as they are too far.

I used to organise the VW Golf mk1 owners club in Scotland but lots of effort for only a few cars, so I packed it in.

Instead I have a Retro VW Scotland page on Facebook and I use that for going to shows and organising stands. It's way easier and how most people communicate nowadays rather than on forums.

I here you with the Facebook but never been a fan; underlying motives etc etc (the site) I can see the appeal but I'd rather stay off grid(pardon the pun). I also think mileage is an issue, also the fact that a lot of people now work weekends so I know there are peopl ou there that can't attend but I have met such nice people; granted I only see them at the shows but again pardon ( it's great to catch up). I don't even know whether the 2 forums have Facebook pages. From my personnel experience Facebook is becoming a little annoying.......no nasties now bug as an Everton supporter, even going to the official website I open links to find myself on Facebook and immediately I get a big pop up about signing in or registering...........so intrusive.

I would like to go to ccgb shows . But a lot of them seem to be up north . Although I was not on the club stand I did go to the show and shine at Bristol a year back, unfortunately everyone had gone as they had to get back on the Sunday .im self employed so I struggle sometimes to get to local shows , I've been to one this year which is pretty poor .

I agree with the Facebook comments as people can be a right pain in the a*** on it and the real drawback of FB is that good quality info just disappears as its drops down, whereas on forums, the threads are kept for all to view and search for.

The problem though is FB is quick, easy and really easy to upload pics so it's sadly the way forward, especially for the younger folk.

As I said earlier, I don't even go on the CCGB site as when I went on before it was poor and quiet iirc.

Oh and totally agree with meeting hood folk at shows as I do at all the ones that I attend.

I still keep in touch with a lot of the mk1 guys that I met along the way and there is nothing better than looking in your mirror and seeing a convoy of the same VWs behind.

Firstly I'll say we, as a part of the club committee, accept we've not really been delivering enough value for members in the last year or two. We have tried, and failed, to recruit new folks into the committee to take over various roles - some of us have been in place for 10 years now, and really would like new blood to take over, but we can't seem to make it happen. So enthusiasm has run out, and therefore so has output. This year is a particular low point. We are aware of it, and we will be trying to get a grip on it all in the coming months.

But one of the biggest problems we've been having in recent years is attendance / interest in shows and meets. I'd accept the fact that members don't keep an eye on the events calendar / website which would be fair enough - we don't keep the website interesting enough so no reason to visit. But some of these events I've advertised on here as well - and had precisely no interest.

Two examples come to mind. Firstly - Coventry Moto Fest a few months ago - centre of Coventry, event that takes over the entire city including motorsport / racing on the ring road (they even had the Aston Martin Vulcan - first time it had been run on UK public roads!) and absolutely loads of stuff to see. I think we had one person interested who subsequently dropped out. Secondly - the Birmingham NEC Classic Car Show and Restoration shows in November and April respectively. We continue to struggle to fill these stands so it usually ends up being full of committee folks - not because we WANT to dominate the event, but because we just can't get any interest in it, and having requested valuable floor space (when other clubs are actively being turned down) we absolutely don't want to let them down. Both are brilliant events for any car enthusiast - so why the complete lack of interest? And both in the centre of England (almost virtually the geographic centre in fact!) - what are you in a car club for if not to go to stuff like this?

We'd love to have more open dialogue and discussion - I'm a regular member, and proactive both here and the CCGB and have been forever - TALK TO ME!! :)

Is the CCGB not seen as 'cool' enough these days ?

I think unfortunately that's a part of it. Personally I think the formality of a committee and annual general meetings makes it seem far too stuffy. It's an element of things that I've personally never liked but it seems for some reason that we're bound / stuck to it.

Hi Jim

I totally agree with your comments and know how you feel when the interest in meets are so low, hence me leaving the mk1 owners club.

Up here in Scotland there is around 6 Corrados that go to quite a few of the shows, our problem is even the central England shows are 4/5 hrs away.

I go to the NEC most years and am going this year but I go with friends and my sons in a daily car as its so far.

There are 3 Corrados incl myself heading to Harewood this weekend from central Scotland.

Hi Jim

I totally agree with your comments and know how you feel when the interest in meets are so low, hence me leaving the mk1 owners club.

Up here in Scotland there is around 6 Corrados that go to quite a few of the shows, our problem is even the central England shows are 4/5 hrs away.

I go to the NEC most years and am going this year but I go with friends and my sons in a daily car as its so far.

There are 3 Corrados incl myself heading to Harewood this weekend from central Scotland.

Scotland remains a perennial problem - none of the committee live anywhere near :( In fact I think I'm one of the furthest north here in Coventry believe it or not! If we could get an enthusiastic club member up in Scotland who wanted to become a regional meets organiser, we'd be thrilled to have them onboard.

I'm enthusiastic enough but there's not cars in the region and the biggest problem is the region is just too large.

For some shows in Scotland guys are driving 3 hrs and still entering the show around 0900, so 12 to 15 hr day.

I do go to a monthly brekkie meet with 2 other VRS though which is cool.

Is there any way the calendar can be put in the forum, so you don't have to go onto the ccgb website?

Also I live in Cornwall so distance is a pain , I remember a great event in Cornwall a few years back now a convoy of 15-20 corrado were cruising round.

Perhaps see if there is any interest in a meet up campsite, BBQ Ect , there was a trip to Belgium a couple of years back , is this still running annually ??

I also the enjoyed corrado magazine with technical write ups in it. Is this still going?

Edited by volksworld13

Is there any way the calendar can be put in the forum, so you don't have to go onto the ccgb website?

Also I live in Cornwall so distance is a pain , I remember a great event in Cornwall a few years back now a convoy of 15-20 corrado were cruising round.

Perhaps see if there is any interest in a meet up campsite, BBQ Ect , there was a trip to Belgium a couple of years back , is this still running annually ??

I also the enjoyed corrado magazine with technical write ups in it. Is this still going?

I am still producing the magazine but I struggle for content. The idea of the magazine was always for members to submit content but in the last couple of years there has literally been nothing :( So it's been down to me, chazrad and a few others to try and dream up content, which has proven to be a challenge.

I used to enjoy going to shows.... but don't bother these days... think I've been their and done it.... instead I get my fix here....

don't like showing my car off these days, just like tinkering.... I know I should as it would get appreciated.

I used to enjoy going to shows.... but don't bother these days... think I've been their and done it.... instead I get my fix here....

don't like showing my car off these days, just like tinkering.... I know I should as it would get appreciated.

Agreed with the shows, I go to around 8-10 a year but this year my enthusiasm is dwindling as like you say, been there done that.

I usually do 3 proper massive classic shows but only done 1 this year.

Go to 2 VW weekends which are as much a gathering as a show which are cool.

Been going to a few modern shows with the VR which have been good fun but again will I go to them next year ??

Really enjoy brekkie meets, last Sunday of the month for a few hours with all cars from Micras to Murcelagos, so much so that my local VW Dealer is hosting a brekkie meet for my FB group on the 18th Sept, with around 20 retro Vws going, food and tea/coffee and a technician and parts guy for any questions

I'm very new to the scene as just been able to get to the age where I can insure my valver for a sorta reasonable price, I've paid my subscription to the CCGB and like the members that we have, also on the Corrado forum too. I'm sad to see this situation, as I'd love to get going to some meets and see some cool cars and being able to show my car too (as you lot are the only ones that will appreciate it lol).

Problem is as I suppose it is with most members is getting the cars to shows, being the drive or the fact that the car has broke again. I'm in that boat unfortunately, lots of work to do and recovering from a motorbike accident doesn't help either.

I like the CCGB site but I do spend most of my time on here, but I do find I struggle to interpret the calendar on the CCGB website and how I'm able to sign up to events (probably it's very simple, just me being an idiot).

And again, I'm from Oxford ways, and some shows will be a struggle to get too but you can't really seem to help that as we have members all over the place.

And Jim as for the magazine I didn't even know you had one! I'd be very interested to have a read and also add some content to help out. Hopefully once I'm a bit more mobile I'd like to do my car up and I'm even going down the air ride route so some members might be interested.

• Like 1

Agreed with the shows, I go to around 8-10 a year but this year my enthusiasm is dwindling as like you say, been there done that.

I usually do 3 proper massive classic shows but only done 1 this year.

Go to 2 VW weekends which are as much a gathering as a show which are cool.

Been going to a few modern shows with the VR which have been good fun but again will I go to them next year ??

Really enjoy brekkie meets, last Sunday of the month for a few hours with all cars from Micras to Murcelagos, so much so that my local VW Dealer is hosting a brekkie meet for my FB group on the 18th Sept, with around 20 retro Vws going, food and tea/coffee and a technician and parts guy for any questions

Only 2 shows for me this year.... Goodwood FOS and Silverstone Classic.... which has car club displays.

I'm very new to the scene as just been able to get to the age where I can insure my valver for a sorta reasonable price, I've paid my subscription to the CCGB and like the members that we have, also on the Corrado forum too. I'm sad to see this situation, as I'd love to get going to some meets and see some cool cars and being able to show my car too (as you lot are the only ones that will appreciate it lol).

Problem is as I suppose it is with most members is getting the cars to shows, being the drive or the fact that the car has broke again. I'm in that boat unfortunately, lots of work to do and recovering from a motorbike accident doesn't help either.

I like the CCGB site but I do spend most of my time on here, but I do find I struggle to interpret the calendar on the CCGB website and how I'm able to sign up to events (probably it's very simple, just me being an idiot).

And again, I'm from Oxford ways, and some shows will be a struggle to get too but you can't really seem to help that as we have members all over the place.

And Jim as for the magazine I didn't even know you had one! I'd be very interested to have a read and also add some content to help out. Hopefully once I'm a bit more mobile I'd like to do my car up and I'm even going down the air ride route so some members might be interested.

You should receive the most recent copy of the club magazine when you get your membership pack through? :) But failing that you can view them online here: http://www.corradoclubgb.co.uk/ccgb16/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=52&Itemid=207

You need to be signed in though.

You should receive the most recent copy of the club magazine when you get your membership pack through? :) But failing that you can view them online here: http://www.corradoclubgb.co.uk/ccgb16/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=52&Itemid=207

You need to be signed in though.

I do have it then :cheers: I didn't get a chance to view all my stuff in the pack, better dig it out! thanks jim

personally, in my case & the gf's, lack of show attendance is normally down to money & time

im not yet 2 years into buying a house & although i have done a big chunk of restoration on it there is still huge amounts to do.

it is quite different running a 3 bed semi compared to a 1 bed apartment, which i had previously, & money is very tight each month

as such if a show requires a reasonable distance in fuel, camping & supplies for the weekend then very often we just cant justify the expense

i very often find that the shows i would like to make an effort & make funds available for are too far away but also i am a bit fickle in that i dont like to feel 'trapped for the day' - in that i mean where cars have to arrive by a certain time & then cant leave until a certain time. (i am currently going through being diagnosed with Asperger's & have always felt more comfortable when out if i know i can leave whenever i want)

a good example being the NEC show Jim mentions as it is only 20 mins down the road from me but would require a fair bit of messing about to take 2 cars there, drop a rado off, go home, come back later & look around, possibly go home again & then bring another car back to pick up said rado. i did try to make arrangements for the one last year but then had to drop out as the valver was not back from the mechanics in time

my other issue is that currently both rados are not in the kind of shape i would want to show them - mainly in terms of paint

the VR, well, lets just say i despise poor work from bodyshops & have been burnt! the bonnet, which was taken back to metal, produced hundreds of micro blisters after a year or so & now it has many crack lines where the primer & paint has sunk into the groves made because they used pads which were too abrasive & left marks in the metal. 4 hours sanding with 800 grit or 1 hour with 180 grit, the customer wont notice for a year.....w4nkers!!

the valver, with a good clean the interior it is very passable aside from a bit of door card tweaking but again the paint needs some serious TLC

however, once the VR paint is done (hopefully end of this year or early next) & hopefully with the Kamei kit on it too i will be swapping the daily over to the valver & save the VR for fun & special ocassions like shows

plus the gf & i are going to be trying to get out & about more at weekends to visit places etc as we have a springer spaniel puppy who we want to take to as many different kind of places as we can. the gf is a carer & we are hoping to train the pup up to be a therapy dog for old people so he needs to go anywhere & everywhere

as for the forum / CCGB site thing - i am probably an offender as i have been a member on here for many a year but i dont even go to the CCGB site. not sure quite why when i think about it but then i dont go to the VR6OC either. maybe it is from viewing threads on some other forums & the feeling that often there are just idiots on there. whereas on here we do seem to have a very nice, helpful & generous bunch of good common minded people.

There's noway I'm driving my car on grass.. :geek:

I always say to myself I will go to one, but never ever get around to it........maybe one day i will. :dance:

Some interesting points made here.

As events manager for the CCGB (and having been that since at least back in 2007, if not 1-2 years before that), I have increased my making noises that I could do with taking time out, mainly due to my current new job (have had it for nearly 2 years now) being more tiring than I had thought, plus in my previous job I could do some of the brain-deader clubstuff at work, which I definitely can't do where I am now anymore. once at home, I often just want to relax, and not have to spend ages updating events calendars, forums, social media (which I am frankly too old for!), so could do with support on those fronts.

It is saddening to see that despite what little time I have left for events club stuff and the efforts I do make for the CCGB in organising club stands at various events throughout the year, quite a few shows just do not get the interest from members:

NEC Classic Car Show

NEC Practical Classics Resto Show

Tatton Park (had to release the stand this year because 3 days prior to the show i still had no interest!)

Seighford Resto Show (3 cars, 2 of which were committee, requested 5-car stand)

Coventry Moto Fest (2 cars, both committee, had requested 5 car stand)

Have a look at the events calendar on the CCGB website to see the sad state of affairs when it comes to the available shows and stands and the actual turn-out of members.

Probably everyone keeping their Rados locked up for better times.

I also don't want to have / and cannot attend all shows in the calendar, such as the Nats day this year. I, too, have my own personal budget for shows, and feel it unfair to force me to attend all shows, as I don't get paid fuel or anything. What I am always hoping for is that members can help me out on that front, by offering to take over some club representation roles at shows that I cannot or don't want to attend.

Anyway, that's all that off my chest ;-)

From an events point of view I therefore don't think we have necessarily let down the membership, it's for the members to pick up the offers put before them. I can relate partially to the comment made earlier, i.e. that of "Shows, been there, done that", as I, too, start feeling that way, and increasingly seek out completely different shows, more and more in my own region, such as the Hinckley Bid, or Oadby carfest this Sunday, where I will be taking my Mk1 to.

Tempest