Tigerfish

Ignition Switch

Ignition switch decided to give up the ghost this evening and car won't start. Got a new switch on order.

I've seen a few threads about the pesky screw that holds the switch in, but wanted to know if the connector to the switch can be unplugged easily? I'd sooner just unplug the broken one, plug in a new switch, start the car to get it home, and then deal with swapping the switch over once home. Is it as simple as that?

Cheers

In buying the switch the picture is all you get. Sounds possible though. Try not to damage the inside of the switch with what you turn it with[ATTACH]84356[/ATTACH]

Or could the wires just be linked at the plug to help you home?

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just get a big'ish flat screwdriver that fits in the slot of the ignition switch. Unplug the connector for the old ignition switch and plug it in to the new switch, the use the screwdriver to turn the slot in the new switch to start the car. Drive it home and fix it properly at your leisure.

Cheers all :)

Should be fine as long as your VR isn't late enough to have the built in immobiliser. There's a slip ring that goes around the key hole which will be looking for the presence of the key....

Should be fine as long as your VR isn't late enough to have the built in immobiliser. There's a slip ring that goes around the key hole which will be looking for the presence of the key....

when the keys have the coded chip in them - my 95 VR does but my 90 valver doesnt - rather than recode to match them up it is possible with some to break the keys themselves open & swap the chips over

just in case someone needs lol

Even if it is, he will still need the key in the ignition barrel to stop the steering lock engaging. So it should read the code from the key if it has immobiliser fitted at the same time.

Sorted today.

Had a quick 5 minute try to get the screw out. Then took a screwdriver and hammer to the old one. Out in a couple of minutes.

Only thing I found odd is I've seen it mention quite often to tie wrap the new one in. I couldn't see any reason to tie wrap anything. The wiring connector clips into the metal surround, so the switch won't go anywhere anyway.

I just cut the tab off the new switch, so it isn't screwed in either. The thing is, the plug clips into the metal of the steering lock housing, not the switch, so the switch can't go anywhere unless you unclip the plug. So I'm just not sure what a tie wrap would do, weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro