Dazz_G60_Wales

G60 engine rattling sound

Hi All

Wanted to ask for advice before paying loads a labour trying to find a problem that could be many issues.

I have a tinny rattle that comes in from 2300 revs up to about 3000 before it becomes inaudible.

It sounds top side and high pitched not low but can't be sure.

I had an engine fitted last year with no history to it from a breakers yard,it runs fine and pulls like a train.

I don't do much mileage in her as She is a summer/show car only.

The rattle has appeared only recently, unless it was there but has got worse.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Not the exhaust shield Bud deffo engine.

You can hear it when driving( especially bouncing off walls etc) but also when just revving on the spot.

Edited by Dazz_G60_Wales

My VR has a similar trait! Think it's the tappets. Don't suppose you could upload a vid??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars in having some rot removed at the Mo but as soon as I get it back I will post a vid.

I am wondering if its sticking cam followers,not had a chance to take the cover off yet but a mechanic suggested this to Me and was hoping someone would come up with this so I could go ahead and get it checked ?

I'm assuming you haven't had an oil pressure light? Cam followers/tappets seem feasible to me, just thinking maybe a weak oil pump? Either way, further investigation is needed! Also, is the g60 chain or belt? If it's chain maybe the tensioner is weak causing a tad of chain slap??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado87 and sanky(any Names would be great)

Aux belt is rubber and we are on the same thinking as the tension pully was changed due to m/ment and the mechanic said it could be that but no.

I only have the dash oil light and that goes straight out so if that's oil psi then assume pump is ok.

But another to keep in mind.

I understand Sanky but until its back from the garage I wont be able to do the Vid.

Hopefully next week sometime I should be able to sort it so will update then.

Cheers Fellas

I had a metallic rattle on my last G60 around 2000 rpm.

It was very noticeable when running with the drivers window down and along side surfaces for the sound to reflect off (driving through bridges / in rows of traffic etc).

Turned out to be a snapped piston ring.

I also have a intermittent rattle from idle up thro the rev range, but mine is more noticeable at idle from cold & sounds a bit like a ball bearing rattling around in a tin, sometimes its gone but it seems to be happening more recently so I will have to get whatever it is fixed. Seems to come from the belt end but there are so many things down there, I dont think its the charger or the alternator they are both only a couple of years old. Cam belt is well within its expected life & the roller was changed last time with the belt. That leaves water pump, hydraulic pump & jockey wheels on the serpentine belt.

Anybody else with a G60 had this & fixed it? any info would be very useful.

I also have a intermittent rattle from idle up thro the rev range, but mine is more noticeable at idle from cold & sounds a bit like a ball bearing rattling around in a tin, sometimes its gone but it seems to be happening more recently so I will have to get whatever it is fixed. Seems to come from the belt end but there are so many things down there, I dont think its the charger or the alternator they are both only a couple of years old. Cam belt is well within its expected life & the roller was changed last time with the belt. That leaves water pump, hydraulic pump & jockey wheels on the serpentine belt.

Anybody else with a G60 had this & fixed it? any info would be very useful.

Check your alternator, mine had a rattle like yours and in my case it turned out to be the alternator... use the old "screwdriver as a stethoscope" trick to pinpoint it.

I have a feeling its the alternator like you suggest, it was a rebuild from GSF, seems to make a chuff chuff noise which is also accompanied by the intermittent clicking rattle sometimes especially in cold damp weather??

Its charging ok so I'm tempted to leave it for the time being, dont think its a bearing as its not droning just this annoying rattle sometimes.

Noticed today the rattle or intermittent click suddenly started when I turned the steering wheel whilst almost at a standstill so now I'm thinking maybe the power steering pump is failing. The pump has never been changed & has done 180k miles. I'll try to get under the car & use the screwdriver listening to confirm. I notice GSF have these on their website.

I'll update when I know more.

Pretty sure its the power steering pump now, its with the experts for confirmation. The hydraulic fluid is still on the high mark so its not leaking. Wondering if changing the fluid would fix it as its never been changed in 24 years.

Yes my local VW experts confirm steering pump noisy, they also say jockey wheels & serpentine belt need replacing, they have ordered the parts & will do the work when they arrive.

what you desribe pretty much like worn big end shells , was alot on the forums about it years back and mine did it

little rattle at light loads /coasting along near a wall , goes away if you boot it

if its not gone too far its not too bad to buy new shells and drop the sump off and replace them

Steering pump, tensioner wheels, 2 belts replaced & engine now beautifully quiet, can hear the charger working nicely with the drivers window down. Very happy with the result.

Steering pump, tensioner wheels, 2 belts replaced & engine now beautifully quiet, can hear the charger working nicely with the drivers window down. Very happy with the result.

Glad you got it all sorted in the end.