Northendroid

Father/Son Project 1991 Corrado - Engine Rebuild

Bought the car a few months ago for father/son project, car has a knock, body is pretty solid nothing rust thru.

Looked into cylinders with borescope, found no marking on the piston, compression test 150 psi across all cylinders. Verified timing the camshaft sprocket was out by two teeth. Forgot to mention that oil idiot light comes on as well. No bottom end work was done. Which is why I've decided to pull the engine out and go through all of it. Not trusting any work that the PO did, reason the head was rebuilt is because someone told him that this would fix his misfiring issue, turn out to be distributor (no kiding Einstein). I'm suspecting rod bearing, I'll post some pictures when I've got it torn apart. One bonus item the PO gave me is the VW Factory Repair Manual :D

Edited by Northendroid

Let me Know if you need any g60 bits..

Thanks I'm in need of the lower front bumper grill and the boost pipe the one with the CO Pot.

Edited by Northendroid

Slowly started ordering replacement parts:

New belt tensioner dampener, previous owner (below) solution to adding more tension:

DSC09833.jpg

Replacing the plastic coolant flanges with casted aluminum ones:

DSC09830.jpg

DSC09829.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%205.25.16%20PM.png

Replacing all of the motor mounts since looks like there the original mounts:

DSC09834.jpg

Replacing the front one with a billet solid mount:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%206.03.11%20PM.png

Well the engine out and on the engine stand. Button up the loose ends tomorrow since my schedule at work got change and won't be coming back for two months.

DSC09836.jpg

DSC09837.jpg

Great work :) Nice to see a car that was starting to teeter on the edge of getting scrapped, is getting saved. Keep the updates coming.. always love to read a build / rebuild thread!

Picked up a G60 68mm Autotech pulley and a water pump pulley from a Vortex member in Ottawa (my backyard), well turn out I found G60 heaven.

fullsizeoutput_ba2.jpeg

This guy is an engineer and a G60 enthusiast, has his own personal stash of G60 engines and parts tucked behind his automotive parts manufacturing warehouse. I know that there are better engine than the G60, but the uniqueness (which is the attraction for me, everyone else does the engine swap) of this setup is taking what works G60 (when properly maintained) and making it better with more flow through the engine (16 or 20 valve head). Tried to work out a deal on this 20V. G60 that he built for a customer and bought it back. But unfortunately it's not for sale was his first build for a customer and kind of sentimental about keeping it.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%204.55.04%20PM.png

He also has 4 brand new AEB blocked for a very reasonable price plus tons of other parts, he's also a Mahle piston distributor. One stop shop for G60 parts LOL!

Bought two brand new (0-Kms) AEB blocks (not the one in the photo LOL) with the crankshaft and intermittent shaft installed in them. One will be to rebuild the PG engine, stock rods and piston will fit in the AEB block, a AEG head gasket is required to fit the PG 8v head, a hole is drill thru the block at one of the thread bolt holes for the G60 oil return and were good to go. Edit: Oh and forgot a ABA oil filter stand off bracket.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-19%20at%207.06.08%20PM.png

Second block is for a 20V. 1.8L G60 build. Also purchased a DRS oil pan for this build.

Edited by Northendroid

Talk about a stroke of luck, finding someone so knowledgable about G60's so nearby. Result!

Yeah you bet had to pinch myself LOL, in my backyard. You expect and see this in California not in Ottawa! His name is Issam Abed also his user name on Vortex his got some great threads in the G60 forum section worth the read!

I couldn't resist came across this on Facebook this morning, thought it was fitting so I ordered one LOL

VW%20sweatshirt.jpg

Can you post a link to it please, maybe get my wife to order me one for Xmas?

Ian.

've found a used AEB head for cheap for my 1.8L 20V G60 build, so going to have a look at it next Sunday when I get back from work. Only draw back it's a 5hr drive from home, but if it works out be worth the drive. Planning on rebuilding it since price is right, seller sent some pics:

20161105_210812.jpg

20161105_210805.jpg

20161105_210845.jpg

20161105_210836.jpg

I'm watching with interest to see what results you get from this setup. Not massively relevant but I'm going to be running an AEB in mine but with a K04 turbo

I'm watching with interest to see what results you get from this setup. Not massively relevant but I'm going to be running an AEB in mine but with a K04 turbo

Nice! I'm keeping the G60 just for the uniqueness of the supercharger, so will be rebuilding it regularly since I'll be running a 68mm pulley. Are you going to keep the Digi 1 or standalone?

Edited by Northendroid

going to be running the standard ecu that came with the 20vt engine and loom for the time being

Pick up my parts in Ottawa today, two AEB block, DRS oil pan, AEB valve cover, header for the AEB head. He also has a brand new AEB head that I'm try to work a deal on.

fullsizeoutput_ba5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ba7.jpeg

One of the blocks is going to be used to replace the PG block all of the internals piston, conrods, oil pump and distributor fit on the AEB block, a few mods are required for the g-lader oil return, g-ladder mounting bracket needs custom plate, turbo oil supply blocked and a AEG head gasket to fit the 8V head to the block, head gasket also seals off three oil journals that aren't used with this head.

Second block for a 1.8L 20V G60 build.

Edited by Northendroid