Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

VR6 Oil Temp Sensor-

There are 2 - one for the ECU and one for the MFA (trip computer), which one do you want to replace?

just sorted out probs on mine! Bought a new sensor, (at the back with the green wire with black trace) didn't work!

Worth noting there sould be a resistance between that wire and earth, and it should alter as the temp goes up, (the resistance goes down as temp goes up if i remember correctly (negative temperature co-efficient))

Any ways it turned out to be a loose connection on the big multi-connector, to the right side of the engine block, i cleaned it up with electrical contact cleaner and made sure i tightened the connector (it's a screw up type.)

Christ that took a while!

Danny. :D

There's only one oil temp sender on the VR6 - it's the black & green wired one on the top of the oil filter housing.

The ECU doesn't use oil temperature as a control input - it's purely for the MFA.

Hi.

I'm a bit concerned about the temperature my VR6 is running at. However I noticed if i read say 124, turn off the engine, then immediately turn the ignition back on, it will read randomly between 10-20 degrees lower. Is my sensor nackered?

I'm a newun to this forum and VR's by the way!

There's only one oil temp sender on the VR6 - it's the black & green wired one on the top of the oil filter housing.

The ECU doesn't use oil temperature as a control input - it's purely for the MFA.

I suspect the other will be an oil pressure sensor :wink:

bad2vbone, Welcome to the forum m8 8)

Oil temps of 124 degrees are not uncommon - your sensor may well be working correctly. MFA updates itself every few seconds - this is why it gives a different reading when you turn your engine back on.

I suspect the other will be an oil pressure sensor :wink:

The other TWO are indeed oil pressure sensors, I was correcting above poster who thinks there are two oil temp senders. :roll:

Hi.

I'm a bit concerned about the temperature my VR6 is running at. However I noticed if i read say 124, turn off the engine, then immediately turn the ignition back on, it will read randomly between 10-20 degrees lower. Is my sensor nackered?

I'm a newun to this forum and VR's by the way!

If you mean that the reading is different when the engine isn't running, I'll give you a clue - the alternator stops charging when the engine stops, what do you think happens to the voltage across the battery terminals?

Another freebie : a high post count around here doesn't necessarily indicate an expert, especially with VR6s.