aclwalker

Another MoT passed!

Hi all,

Not been on a while, but yesterday my 1994 VR6 with 255k on the clock passed another MoT, with flying colours. I had had some ABS problems leading up to it, but cleaning of terminals, a bit of bleeding of the unit (with some air bubbles coming out) and some messing around with the relays and ECU seems to have solved it.

I had one advisory about free play in the rear bearings, but this is pretty subjective. I guess I'll tighten it up a bit.

I was particularly pleased with the emissions results. Normally the guy doesn't give me a copy, but I asked to see it this time out of curiosity.

For the fast idle I got 0.03% CO (limit is 0.2%), 19ppm HC (limit is 200ppm) and lambda of 1.01 (range 0.97 - 1.03).

For the natural idle I got 0.06% CO (limit is 0.3%).

This same tester and machine failed my dad's Golf IV last year on emissions (stuck air flap thing was the cause), so I've no doubt the equipment is working. The guy said that my car easily passes the emissions every year, as he remembers it, since he doesn't see Corrados very often.

My nearly 23 year old car has done 255,000 miles, on the original cat, as far as I can tell (I haven't replaced it in the 15 years I've had it) and it still passes emissions easily! I'm quite chuffed about this. :)

Alan

Whilst I am delighted for you and your MOT pass Alan and would not for one moment wish to dampen your fireworks. I am, however, always slightly bemused as to why folks place such gravitas on the MOT?

Being an MOT qualified inspector of some years standing, I recognise the MOT test to be the lowest standard any road going vehicle must meet and in as much, a well loved and maintained vehicle should pass without any cause for celebration. Moreover, it should be considered as a formality to be addressed for reasons of legality, but in all other respects almost an indignity to its mechanical status.

The MOT is an important feature of U.K. Motoring road safety and I am not in any way in doubt of that fact, but surely as enthusiasts and in as much, own vehicles that transcend regular ownership, we are ensuring our loved Corrados are being kept to a standard way in excess of an MOT fail?

Anyways Alan, I'm pleased your Corrado will continue to give service and pleasure for another year. 15 years Corrado ownership, 255k miles and goodness knows how many anecdotes to tell. Now that's a reason for celebration

Well done mate, I still drive up your street on the odd occasion I'm over that way,just to see the old girl. Been a while though, you still in the same place?