Sign in to follow this  
colinstubbs

G60 16v or 16v G60?

if i wanted to go the 16v g60 route, would i be able to s/charge a straight 16v, or would i be better off getting a g60 and swapping heads? what costs, pitfalls or potential nightmares are out there!!!!!! OR would i be better off turbo-ing what i've got instead, ie 16v :? disguss!!!! :)

Id probaly start with a g60 then fit the 16v lump in with lower compression.That way you have the loom and ecu to run digipants injection

unfortunately missed the chance to get a complete, if slightly damaged,(front wishbone, damper possible chassis twist) car, when an aquaintance sold his to a breakers for £200 :cry: :shock: he has since been told what a total prick he was, especially with the undamaged 3 month old 17s on it. he must have lost loads on that deal :p

You should be better taling to 16vG60 on this forum or going to see him russington in west sussex

You should be better taling to 16vG60 on this forum or going to see him russington in west sussex

I'll vouch for John too, having seen his 16V G60 in the flesh - I couldn't agree more. :D

me three... having actually been out in the little monster too, it's a bit of an eye opener! :D 8)

Colin, give me a call if you require some guidance with regard to your proposed plans for building a 16VG60. I am happy to discuss the numerous options one has for building these engines, and indeed the other mods required in order to ballance the package. I see you are a Kentish man, not that far from me at all. Perhaps you could drive over to my workshop and i could then illustrate in more detail, i know this arrangement has helped others like yourself to comprehend this kind of project.

Colin it all depends what you want from a engine personally ive gone down the 16vg60 route as i like to have power on tap and not a big fan or lag then massive kick up the arse as i still want to get some sort of luxury in my car.

If i wanted 16v turbo i porb put it in a mkI golf to get the best power to weight ratio out of it as thats what turbo's are really for bigger power

Also as you have a 1.8 16v engine personally i think thats the best place to start IMO as you alone really have to rebuild it use a metal headgasket and audi Quattro pistons and your ready for any force induction

As for the brackets and loom ive done most/nearly all the work myself and its been very easy plug and play (especially ive done it now :roll: :lol: ) and not as hard as people have made it out to be but then i guess its down to the person doing it and his ability

But John has def been a massive help in advise etc so drop him a line :D (but dont tell i said it ;) ;) :lol: )

thanks to all that have replied to this. :) it's something i really would like to consider, although financing it may not be too easy at the mo. There is a faint possibility of some form of redundancy at work which may free up some time and money :D , so fingers crossed :lol: Thanks again.

I am in the process of working on this mod and it has been a bit of an eye opener!

Like everyone else has said talk to John he is a great help and will point you in the right direction.

As for spares it is probably easiest (if you have the space) to get both a 16v engine complete and a G60 one; as in loom, ECU, etc etc. You should be able to pick up both these units for about £600 as G60 units complete with charger are around £500 and you can get a complete KR unit for less than £100. This way you can swop over the bits you do need and flog the others on e-bay!

I am also working on the assumption with my project that any mechanicals I get need to be striped and checked or reconned so that needs to be factored into your budget too, but ultimately John is the best guy to go and see about all of this.

Laters,

Yan

So...if I had a Corrado G60 (which I do!) would it be relatively straightforward to swap out the 1.8 8V and sling in a 2.0 16V from the later cars (after reducing the CR)? I can imagine a chip would be required, but what else?

People believe this convertion is very very expensive but its not the pricey bits is getting everythign rebuilt and the charger otherwise ive converted mine to a 16vg60 setup for about £400 including buying a intercooler from forgermotorsport

also this is based on that u will do all the fabricating and mounting of parts instead of paying someone else

as for whats the best engien toi start off there loads of examples

personally i think its a 1.8 16v engine then just add the audi quattro pistons and off u go

buit John is a G60 engine with special pistons and a 16v head

others i cant remember but i guess they can post up :)

and then all u need is a G60 ECU system and wiring and someone to do you a chip :)

and then all u need is a G60 ECU system and wiring and someone to do you a chip

So if you're starting with a G60 in the first place...just the rebuilt charger, rebuilt 16V engine and a chip?

Would you get more power and/or torque out of a 2.0 16V, or are there disadvantages with that engine?

Sorry if these are all stupid questions, but it's been on my mind for some time. If I don't sell up and go the VR6 route, then my currently standard G60 will be seeing some non-standard parts...;)

i cant really tell u the difference in the end result if u go 1.8 16v or 2L 16v engines

but for the 2L 16v you would need to get special pistons to fit in there with lower compression

as for you your correct just rebuild the charger and a head/engine (depending what u do) fuel rail maybe bigger injectors inlet (few to choice from) and a chip and ur there

again talk to John as he is the best man for advise :D

Also its worth having a read of the 16vg60 yahoo usergroup as there is a load of info with reference to parts required and some cheaper suppliers.

If you are going to build a high power/revving 16VG60 engine (~300hp+) you are better of using a PG block as a base due to carter vent problems.

Hi Darren! Just found this forum, some interresting cars here.

yes very intresting some great people too !! go easy on them. :lol:

If you are going to build a high power/revving 16VG60 engine (~300hp+) you are better of using a PG block as a base due to carter vent problems.

OK, I'll bite... WTF? you're obviously well clued up 'cos Darren knows you by name, but I've not heard about "carter vent problems" before and you've got me interested straight away... 8)

Wot's one of them then? :oops: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, you sound like you could well be a very valuable addition! 8)

its not nessary to have this caster vent which all it is a cut out for the water system (had it explained to me this morning :p ) its been proven with 16v engine they run fine and even mine does without any probs even those 500bhp 16v turbo in germany